Just one big filter cap or more smaller filter caps ...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
... in a PSU to use in a power amp ?

Dear Sirs,

I read some very different opinions about the opportunity of
using just one big caps (i.e. for each voltage rail of course) or more smaller caps in a power amp power supply.
My main goal is to achieve the more solid and powerful bass all other things being equal.
In the Krells famous for their very solid bass they use very big caps.
Other high-end companies instead use several smaller caps in parallel.

Any opinion would be very welcome and appreciated.
Thank you and kind regards,

beppe

Two or more electrolytic caps in parallel will usually give a higher ripple current rating and lower ESR than one cap equal to their sum uF. For a given capacitor series that (ie, 2+) should be a better option for bass and may even be the only way to get the required ripple rating.

OTOH it may well cost more which could affect judgement in a commercial amp.

cpemma said:

Two or more electrolytic caps in parallel will usually give a higher ripple current rating and lower ESR than one cap equal to their sum uF.
For a given capacitor series that (ie, 2+) should be a better option for bass and may even be the only way to get the required ripple rating.
OTOH it may well cost more which could affect judgement in a commercial amp.

Thank you very much indeed Sir for your kind and valuable reply.
I asked because I understand that, for instance, Krell amps have always had a prodigious bass response and they sport huge high grade caps (Mallory) in small numbers (i.e. usually two/channel).
Nevertheless I am sure that also Classè, that instead uses several smaller filter caps, has a solid bass response as well.

Thank you very much indeed.
Kind regards,

beppe

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.