capacitors voltage rating

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
maybe a stupid question but...using a power supply scheme for a dual voltage(+/-35V) and 1 rectifier bridge the filter capacitors form a capacitor voltage divider; so the max voltage of the capacitors is 70V or 35V?because i remember that in a capacitive voltage divider it's mandatory to use the max imput voltage as max voltage for the capacitors...am I wrong?

Hi,
what is the open circuit output voltage of the transformer when connected to a nominal mains supply voltage?

How high can the output voltage go when the mains supply voltage is at maximum?

In the UK this is +6%. i.e 254Vac for a nominal 240Vac supply

Now calculate the maximum peak voltage on each of the smoothing caps.

Select a voltage rating to suit the rail to ground voltage.

Some manufacturers trim this substantially to allow cheaper/smaller components to be used.

I have an amplfier that has 51Vdc on the PSU at 240Vac input and it uses 50Vdc caps. I think they should be shot for selling this potential death trap.

ok, guys, so if the secondary has 50vac,and I split it in 2 separate after the bridge, I think will be a good idea to use 50V capacitors instead of 35, right?the schematic is something like this...

Attachments

• psu2.jpg
    psu2.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 317
Sorry to barge in on the discussion, but I have a similar issue that has to be delt with! I have several (16) Mallory (org) 66000uF caps rated at 60v with a surge capability of 75v. I intend on using these in my Aleph 1.2 project. However, this amp should have approx. 60v on the rails. I am thinking of bringing the voltage down to just under 60v by the use of resitors. Is this safe, an how big a margin should I use? I would prefer to get as close as possible to 60v. What does surge actually mean? Peak value? For how long etc.

Thanks for any help!

Best regards,
folke

Hi,
not sure I can help, but try to help me.
Is the A1.2 a single ended ClassA amplifier?
Is the standard PSU a rectifier followed by smoothing caps? i.e. an RC PSU.

or

Is it an RCRC supply with some resistance built in to reduce ripple being fed to the amplifier?

BTW. in both the above cases that first R might just be the resistance of the transformer secondary + cable.

The following link show the principle of the PSU supply. My main question is whether or not it will be safe using capasitors close to their nominal rated limit, when their surge limit is somewhat higher. In my case - 60v VDC nom. tolerance and 75VDC surge. I was hoping to bring the voltage down to 58-59 volts with the use of power resistors. Hope the link will enable you to see what I 'm getting at. The resistors will be connected in series with the + and - out of the rectifier before the caps.

http://www.kk-pcb.com/power-12.html

The Aleph is Class A single ended.

Hi,
you have an RCLC supply with a very small R.

The problem is slightly worse than you described.

Have you measured the secondary voltage of the transformer when the mains input is exactly at the nominal specified voltage?

You need to correct for any variation here first.
Now add on the +6% mains voltage variation that is permitted in the UK.

You could end up with a considerable overvoltage when doing it this way.

BTW the Vsurge rating would take account of the +6% on the mains and other glitches that get fed into your house wiring.

Some spike attenuation can be added to the primary side of the amp or directly to the room wiring or even back at the distribution board. If your sound quality assessor approves of such things.

Part 2 to follow ( I just lost it when trying to preview)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.