PC Mount Current Shunts Suppliers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was looking for a shunt in the 50A range. If I recall correctly pretty much all of the resistors in the milliohm range are wirewound and have inductance. I am looking to use shunts since the don't have any measurable inductance.

I was thinking about fabricating my own using stainless foil and soldering copper terminals on (dip stainless in flux, scratch SS foil to remove oxide layer, and solder away). This will probably work for a one-off project.

Inductance is not such a bad thing if the intended purpose of the resistor is plain current sensing. Note that the effects of the zero introduced by the series inductance in the sense signal are easily cancelled by applying a suitable pole with a plain RC filter.

However, things are not so easy when the inductive resistor is in series with the drain or the emitter of a MOSFET or IGBT, and included in the gate drive loop, or when the resistor is part of the output stage of a class AB amplifier.

>EVA: However, things are not so easy when the inductive resistor is in series with the drain or the emitter of a MOSFET or IGBT

Indeed, that is why I want to avoid the inductance.

>Hi, are we seriously discussing 50A measurement techniques for on PCB currents?

Indeed I am. All large current connections will be backed with heavy gauge copper wire or with a bus to handle the high current loads. I've already done some investigation on the issues with PCBs and large current loads.

> AndrewT : Is that continuous, peak or transient? or not at all?

Transient.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.