Convert single to dual supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I bought one of these on eBay
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
but then discovered it was single rail supply not dual. the connection for GND is just that - chassis ground with no potential between the +/- and the GND terminal.

Is there anyway I can get some sort of dual supply even temporaly for low voltage testing before applying full power to a new project?

Otherwise it's a good little power supply

One way of doing that is you can place 2 high wattage resistor in serie between + and ground. The + become the positive power supply, between the 2 resistors is the potential ground and the ground of the power supply become the negative .Both resistor must be of equal value since you do not want your groung having +/- a couple of volts.

This is one way that can be use easily and pretty fast, good luck

richie00boy,thanks for your explanation.

Wombat2,
I happen to found such a powersupply yesterday.Refer to the following pictures.I opened it last night and I found that there was only a large transformer and several pieces of PCBs in it.So I advice you to mend it for yourself,if it is possible.Make sure that you will not be shocked by the input current.Good luck.

Attachments

• δÃüÃû.jpg
    δÃüÃû.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 270
Christer said:

Only approximately and only if you load draws much less current. And you don't get good regulation anymore, unless your load draws constant current. It works in some cases, but it is no general solution.

Only want to check new circuits at low voltages to make sure there are no holes to let the smoke out then I'll hook it up to the full PSU to run at full power

DC-DC converter

Wombat-

Whar voltage(s) do you need? How much power? One possible solution is a DC-DC Switched-mode power supply. There are many good schematics out there that are easily scaleable for just about whatever voltage, current and power levels you could want.

Check out Rod Elliot's ESP website, as richie00boy suggests, but look at the car amplifier power supply projects. These can be adapted to whatever your requirements are.

Steve

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.