Power supply problems

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello.

I designed this power supply:
http://devius.oniduo.pt/fonte-esquema.jpg

But it doesn't seem to work properly. Wheh I turn it on only one of the two outputs works, either +15V or -15V. It shifts from one to the other at each power up. In that situation the other output is at the same signal but only 1V. I get +15 and +1V or -15V and -1V. Sometimes both outputs do work at the same time, but I don't know what triggers it. It isn't a bad solder because I can shake the PSU and nothing changes. I tried putting a 100K resistor from +15 to -15 but it didn't help. In fact I think it made it worse because now the two outputs never work.
It seems one of the zeners doesn't start conducting, or maybe one of the series pass transistors, since all voltages are normal except on the regulator side.

Any ideas?

Hi,
it seems like a start up problem, since loading the output pulls the inputs to the opamp to ground and then refuses to allow both to start.

Go and read W Jung and ALW about the start up sequence that is needed to get up to working voltage. I think Walt discusses three operating senarios from first power on to full power out.

It may give an insight for what to look for while debugging.

What is the common mode tolerance for a 5532 when both inputs are at ground when the supplies are at +- raw input?

Or should you be using 5534 with each opamp connected from raw input to ground?

Thanks for the replies.

I'm sure that connecting the zener biasing resistors to the raw supply would work, but I opted to connect them to the output because there will be a cleaner supply of DC to the opamp input.

47R5 means 47,5 Ohms ;) It's just to avoid any problems on the opamp due to transistor capacitance.

The NE5532 has a +/-13V common mode input range according to the datasheet, but that's with +/-15V supplies, in my case it should be a little higher.

Hey, the reverse biased diodes worked! :D Thanks a lot for the help! I thought those diodes were only there for protection in case the leads were reversed by mistake. Everything is fine now :)

Thank you for the site listing! I'm surprised those sites didn't come up when I searched for W Jung... :confused:

Anyway, I'm pretty sure the problem was something related to the zeners not being correctly biased upon start up, but I don't know why only one of them worked at a time. I opted for a simple solution: putting a 10K resistor from raw supply to bias the zener at start up. That value should introduce little ripple to the opamp input due to the RC network formed with the 100uF cap.

After giving a look at those articles I now see that my power supply could have been a little better with very simple modifications.
I also see that this thread should have gone to the power supply section... sorry!

Thanks to all that replied :)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Devius,
I'm glad you got it working.

The 78XX and 79XX series regulators used to latch up in some supplies on startup and those diodes seemed to help. I was thinking the discrete version may have had the same problem.

I just include them now when using those regulators.

-Chris
Also, the thread is easy to move so don't worry about it. :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.