regulated 5V DC supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Tomatito,

For what it's worth, this is the DC supply I use for my KR300BXLS's. Please take into account that although the tubes are specified as 1.9A filament, that's not true. It's around 1.4A. That's important for the 'range' on your pot when using a currect regulator.

Cheers, Ralph

Attachments

• dcfilament.jpg
    dcfilament.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 207
Hello everyone,

I have read everything I could find on AC vs DC heaters, especially when it comes to 300b as these seem to suffer from AC induced hum the most.
I have a wonderful 300b amp built by one of "Triode Mafia" members, unique design, Tango OPT, etc. It was built using AC filaments throughout - signal tubes and DHT. Having suffered the hum and trying all kinds of solutions (different tubes, 10 turn pots, balanced isolation transformers) I decided to convert 300b filaments to DC, - I got a pair of Tent Labs boards.
DC filaments is a compromise, a worthy one for me. AC filaments definitely sound different, some argue it sounds better. AC heating introduces some artifacts to the sound that makes it "mellow", thanks to 60 & 120 Hz intermodulation; DC makes it more "clinical".
Another thing that DC exposes is power supply noise that is previously masked by AC hum, installing "Ultra Path" caps solved that as well.
I also wired DC filaments on opposite pins for left and right channel, so I could switch the tubes to avoid that theoretical filament burn.
My resume: AC sounds "juicy" but suffers from hum and noise problems, DC sounds "dry" and exposes other problems in the amp, but is ultimately the better solution to me.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.