voltage reference for 16bit dac (LM329 ?)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
http://www.cirrus.com/en/pubs/appNote/an04.pdf

applies to dacs as well

for audio dynamic specs are most important, absolute accuracy, drift, tempco are all secondary -- filtered bandgaps are fine

analog.com also has the newer Vref "xfet" technology -- but really lousy data sheet info, only audio noise spec is "60 nV/rtHz", no noise density vs freq, output Z has linear impedance axis and stops short in frequency of the likely Cload peaking

jcx said:
http://www.cirrus.com/en/pubs/appNote/an04.pdf

applies to dacs as well

for audio dynamic specs are most important, absolute accuracy, drift, tempco are all secondary -- filtered bandgaps are fine

analog.com also has the newer Vref "xfet" technology -- but really lousy data sheet info, only audio noise spec is "60 nV/rtHz", no noise density vs freq, output Z has linear impedance axis and stops short in frequency of the likely Cload peaking

Thanks.

I've been using bandgaps into oscon SA capacitors. I think I need to plot the graphs!

the Crystal application note is really useful -- if you use one of the buffered circuits be mindful that errors can be caused by the bias current flowing from the input pins of the buffer. (Not my original thought -- pointed out by Ron Mancini from TI a couple years ago in an apnote). So you can't just slap any old opamp into the filter circuit -- use an ultra low bias current opamp.

jcx said:
you need to look at the DAC data sheet and see what sort of load it presents to the Vref to start the engineering of a Vref circuit

Reference voltage output is listed as 2 ohms at 2.5V. I believe that's the output from the internal reference circuit at pin 16.

Attachments

• saa7323.jpg
    saa7323.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 167
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.