Big Torroidal - Noisy - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd April 2006, 02:00 PM   #1
Bonsai is offline Bonsai  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Angry Big Torroidal - Noisy

Hope someone can help here. I have a new 1KVA transformer for an amp I am building (from RS componenents). I though torroids were supposeed to be quiet - this thing buzzes along and if definelty too noisy to use - even when I lift it off the bench or put it on some foam rubber. Anyone got any expereince with these things? Do I have to spend 50 and still pot the whole thing up?

Comments/experiences welcome

Thanks
Old 2nd April 2006, 02:16 PM   #2
lndm is offline lndm  Australia
diyAudio Member

AFAIK toroids are typically quiet. Are you sure you don't have some windings bucking?
Old 2nd April 2006, 02:23 PM   #3
Netlist is offline Netlist  Belgium
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Even unloaded?

/Hugo
Old 2nd April 2006, 02:30 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Are you sure you don't have some windings bucking?
When you say "bucking", what does that mean? Curious minds want to know.
Old 2nd April 2006, 03:22 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Hi

ACR wrote
Quote:
Hope someone can help here. I have a new 1KVA transformer for an amp I am building (from RS componenents). I though torroids were supposeed to be quiet - this thing buzzes along and if definelty too noisy to use - even when I lift it off the bench or put it on some foam rubber. Anyone got any expereince with these things? Do I have to spend 50 and still pot the whole thing up?
Your problem is unfortunately a common problem when using standard transformers in audio application. It is a big chance when buying those transformers made for the industrial use (very cheap) and then try to implement it into audio amps. They nearly always buzzes, hummmmsss
and noises. There have been written a lot of articles about this issue but you could start looking at Pliton transformers an their link:
http://www.plitron.com/pages/lono.htm

Make a special attention to the article: Measuring Acoustic Noise Emitted by Power Transformers
further down at this page.

If taking account to the problem, transformers built for audio applications are never cheap.

This is why I started and tried a GB for a solid state amp transformer from Avel Lindberg (former supplier to Krell). I have specified the application to be for Audion use (noise reduction is the primary issue here).

Hope this helps a little but its another issue to get your transformer to be silent( impossible if you ask me)

Regards
Old 2nd April 2006, 03:35 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default ACR

I forgot to tell you that the best thing to do is to send this transformer back to RS and claim a guarantee issue.

If you are lucky you could get one that is quieter than this one, or you could make a decision to choose another type of toroids if RS approves a guarantee.

Regards
Old 2nd April 2006, 04:10 PM   #7
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

The Bryston solution. Try before returning your transformer and buying a more expensive design.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attac...?postid=328821
Old 2nd April 2006, 04:13 PM   #8
tubee is offline tubee  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I have a hybrid amp, tube voltage stage and TO3 powerfets. First i tried little 50VA toroid-transformers for the fets, they where impregnated.
Later with improving my amp i ordered two Amplimo 120VA Toroids.
But after a few weeks of class a duty, they began to hum mechanically!

I informed at the manufacturer two times, but never heard anything back!

A smaller Amplimo toroid in my tube preamplified is quiet though.

A solution for this is to get special clear self drying impregnating fluid from a transformer fabric and impregnate yourself. There exists vacuum impregnating fluids also, sort of thermohardening resin.
I worked very close to a transformer firm, so i know a little how they did and what products they used.

But i never buy an Amplimo transformer again.
In germany (at Schuro.de) i can get other makes cheaper and better, impregnated!
Old 2nd April 2006, 04:23 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Only yesterday in read in the german hifi-forum that toroids were pretty succeptible to noise from the supply-net ( hope you know what I mean) and then tend to humm.
Som, either look for the problem in your supply lines, try to filter the noise just before the toroid or you can fill it will resin (it isn't filled yet, is it?) to make it stiffer, less prone to vibration.

Cheers,
Dominique
Old 2nd April 2006, 04:36 PM   #10
tubee is offline tubee  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I mounted some diy ferrite in series with the mains connections. Maybe they induce noise also. The humming is not always the same. Warm toroids are noisier (looser windings due to warmth)

Hide this!Advertise here!