DIY power conditioner?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Problem: plug-in 120V space heaters appear to have done quite a number on the old family TV (about 15 years old). It looks like it is time for a new TV and I would like to add something to make sure the problem doesn't reoccur.

Any recommendations on what type of power conditioner would be most effective for this type of application? Is it a simple surge suppressor & filter like this: http://www.geocities.com/jonrisch/surge.htm ? I am thinking something like that is hardly worth DIY'ing, but if it gets more complex than that I am all ears (eyes) :)

I just remembered something I had in the parts bin. It's a 3.3mH line filter rated at 4.2 amps, DCR = 0.041 ohms. That should be acceptable to roll my own super-filter, shouldn't it?

Attachments

• pwr1025.jpg
    pwr1025.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 766
Can't say how well it works, but I built one of these. I only say I can't comment because I rewired the outlet / junction box, and addressed some grounding issues at the house I'm renting. It may be near impossible to track down the inductors needed anymore unfortunately. The circuit layout is still a good starting point.

(My power issues were fixed before placing the power filter into my system, so I can only say it doesn't hurt my power quality)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.