Choice of Power Supply Caps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

Need some help here.

I'm trying to do a recap of my integrated amp.
The original ones were supposed to be custom made by BHC Aerovox 63v 4,700uF. Size 22X40.
Using 50v should be ok too. And max size to use is 25X50.

Due to space constrain and availibility locally, I am thinking of changing to either:
BC Component 56 Series - 4,700uF 50v Size 25X40 or;
Aerovox ALP22 Series - 3,300uF 63v Size 25X45.

The specs are;
Choice - ESR(mohm) - Ripple - Impedance
BC Component 56: 58 - 3.18 - 51
Aerovox ALP22: 65 - 2.89 - 52

Looks like the Aerovox is better but will there be any problem if I now use 3,300uF instead of 4,700uF?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,
if you could get Aerovox 50V 4700uF in your size then the spec should be even better.

Going down from 4m7F to 3m3F may affect the bass and lower frequency transients.

You may also encounter a shade of motorboating if the stack up of tolerances was against you but this is less likely.

Personally I would try hard to find 4m7F Aerovox or better.

A study of capacitors in AudioXpress (sorry can't remember which edition but results are partially on their site), found that 3300uF generally sounded better than 4700uF. This was due to the resonant effects of an electyolytic capacitor's inductance. It was not conclusive but a good generalisation.

3300uF should perform satisfactorily, there really isn't a huge difference.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.