Best diodes for generic power supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've seen several posts about the best audio quality diodes to use, but I get a little bit of contradiction between didoe types:

Schottky diodes seem to be more audio quality than standard, but do we want to use fast recovery or soft recovery?

==> Similar note, has anyone tried Fairchild's stealth diodes?

This diode story is one of those placebo effects in audio.

You can use chicken fence wire to connect speakers to an amp. Then tell a guy it's gold plated solid silver $300 mega-monster interconnects, and he'll swear he can hear profound presence, soubtle overtones, rich full-bodied sound that envelops you like the flavor of fine cognanc...blah, blah, blah, ... you know the drill...

Then tell him it's chicken wire, and he can suddenly hear the rough, jagged, scratchy granularity caused by the myriad diodes formed by the cheap iron molecules in the cable...

There's never been any evidence, measured objectively with instruments, to suggest that any power supply rectifier diodes used in place of the 1N400x will provide any significant improvement in sound parameters.

The drive to substitute more expensive alternatives for all components in a power amp stems from a desire to improve the design without an actual knowledge of how to improve the design.

It demonstrates complete unawareness of a fundamental principle of electronic design:
The topology must factor out component characteristics,
so that overall quality of result depends on circuit arrangement, not on individual component properties and tolerances.

The sound of an amplifier should not depend on the quality of components, but on the arrangement of those components. With few exceptions, this design goal is to a large extent achieved in most designs today.

So you're trying to improve something which has already been rendered irrelevant by the design.

This in turn causes an individual to convince themselves they can "hear" an improvement, in order to achieve self-justification. Communicating with others who have done the same modification provides reassurance through cross-confirmation. So now you have a club of believers. Something like this:

http://www.alaska.net/~clund/e_djublonskopf/Flatearthsociety.htm

A spike (as can be seen across the diodes when they turn off), is energy with a uniform frequency distribution. That is it may set off resonances throughout the power supply if they exist.

Fairly easily fixed though, put some snubbers across the diodes, and place small resistances between stages in the ps.

I believe Nelson Pass has a few good things to say on his web site on this subject too. I seem to recall him recommending which diodes to use.

It is confusing of reason and result - low PSRR, amp on border of stability, wrong design of PCB, sensitivity for HF disturbing at input etc... Isn't problem to get with normal diodes SNR over 120-125 dB, with any special low noise devices ( at line levels... ), if all is correct designed .... ;)

Diode commutation noise is not like common thermal/resistance noise which is usually relatively quiet and resembles white noise.

Diode noise is short spikes that on their own are largely inaudible, but they are very high in level. It takes this wideband high voltage spike to ring the power supply.

I'm sure I read somewhere that people were using Switching Mode Power Supplies and Microcontrollers in their Hi-Fi designs... all of which, in my mind, do WAYYY more to induce HF noise than a Power Diode like a 1N4004 could ever hope to do.

I realize that a lot of designs, especially Gainclones, like to use those really cool looking fast diodes in TO-220 cases... but WELL FILTERED DC power (both HF and RIPPLE filtered) would seem to be able to completely overcome anything a "standard" diode could do while changing state.

I'd be more worried about what a local FM radio tower could induce into my amp than what the diode might do...

So... I guess I remain unconvinced it makes a difference... still haven't lab tested though.

pwillard said:
Switching Mode Power Supplies and Microcontrollers in their Hi-Fi designs

Not me...

but WELL FILTERED DC power (both HF and RIPPLE filtered) would seem to be able to completely overcome anything a "standard" diode could do while changing state.

Yes, but the trouble is getting there. Filtering requires resonant circuits, and whilst we try to have them behave themselves and to act at infrasonic frequencies, there are always parasitics.

Electrolytics in particular usually have an inductive component due to their plates being rolled, that when combined with their capacitance, resonates in the upper midrange.

lndm said:
Diode commutation noise is not like common thermal/resistance noise which is usually relatively quiet and resembles white noise.

Diode noise is short spikes that on their own are largely inaudible, but they are very high in level. It takes this wideband high voltage spike to ring the power supply.
When you mention "very high in level" you must put this into perspective, compared to what? Bear in mind that 99.99% of all high-end gear have regular diodes.

peranders said:

When you mention "very high in level" you must put this into perspective

No I don't. I understand the problem conceptually as I'm sure you do too. I'm explaining it conceptually. I build according to guidelines, common sense, and my training. If it's broken I fix it and I enjoy much success. Therefore I speak from experience.

Not interested in specifics here.

http://www.passlabs.com/downloads/articles/powersupply.pdf

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.