Best diodes for generic power supply - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th March 2006, 06:57 AM   #21
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi Upupa,
tell us how you switch off the Forums's auto delete to let through "JC"?
Although I'm joking it would be nice to know.
Old 10th March 2006, 07:39 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

No Andrew, it is mistake - JC is for me great ideal... his knowledges are great and he is man of worth... But two times I was asking him for listenig results and two times I was ignored.... I will never try it again.... In all hifi are now many superstitions and I can to know " uncolored " thruth, 'cos I like it very much....
Old 10th March 2006, 11:40 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Bear in mind that 99.99% of all high-end gear have regular diodes.
What I use as the basis of my own conclusions. I too agree that the humble power diode designed years ago is still in use.

---

Over-engineering with parts that were designed for other purposes does not always make something better. I don't think faster means better. The only thing that I can imagine that could come into play here is what has already been mentioned.

A properly designed "system" would be less susceptible to power diode issues. If your AMP or PREAMP is affected by the diodes... maybe it's not so good?
Old 10th March 2006, 12:05 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

To pw : Full agree...
Old 10th March 2006, 12:54 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

when are we going to kill this over-flogged horse -- you can see the effect of a diode's junction capacitance when you use an EI core transformer (with large leakage inductance) -- I said you can see itwith a scope but I don't know if you can hear it in an application which draws a few amps. If you are an analog circuit designer trying to squeeze out acuracy in the LSB's then it's germaine.

the diode capacitance forms a "tank" circuit with the transformer and will oscillate -- the cure is inexpensive -- an RC network in parallel with the diode is the simplest cure.

folks like OnSemi, Fairchild, ST Micro, Cornell Dublier, International Rectifier pay a lot of attention to diode noise issues.

For me, I use MUR860's, MBR20100's, 1N4007's.
Old 10th March 2006, 01:02 PM   #26
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Elso Kwak
Lightbulb Idea

Put a low valued resistor in the ground return to the transformer's center tap, something like 3 Ohm. Then put your scope's probe across the resisitor and you will get an idea of the charging current spikes.......
Old 11th March 2006, 02:09 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

No doubt it's a regularly debated issue, but a circuit like this using standard power diodes makes for a good supply.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg power.jpg (15.7 KB, 896 views)
Old 11th March 2006, 11:59 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pwillard
No doubt it's a regularly debated issue, but a circuit like this using standard power diodes makes for a good supply.
putting a 10nF cap across a diode just lowers the resonant frequency of the "tank" circuit --
Old 11th March 2006, 05:56 PM   #29
Eva is offline Eva  Spain
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Eva
Quote:
Originally posted by Upupa Epops
No Andrew, it is mistake - JC is for me great ideal... his knowledges are great and he is man of worth... But two times I was asking him for listenig results and two times I was ignored.... I will never try it again.... In all hifi are now many superstitions and I can to know " uncolored " thruth, 'cos I like it very much....
Everyone involved in serious design and research employing scientific methods is going to avoid discussing listening tests. That's because we all have a long experience in listening tests and we know very well that these tests never ever give the same result twice. On the other hand, salesmen will always use these tests as a tool to persuade customers because they know quite well that the result is highly self-biased and random.

Trying to find serious repeatable criteria to "improve" audio gear by listening to it is like trying to repair a broken amplifier employing a "speacial" multimeter that has a 50% error in its measurements and the display never *ever* reads the same twice.

You will never find two people doing "listening research" reaching the same results, but you will see them always arguing, as opposed to people employing scientific methods that will usually end up agreeing. Then again, you can repeat any scientific test that I have previously done and you will obtain exactly the same results, but you won't be able to repeat a listening test carried out by anyone else.

In fact, that kind of people expend their whole life switching equipment and trying new exotic components, as they become tired of everything quite quickly without finding any solid criteria. They have even invented the "component burn-in" concept in a desperate attempt to explain the randomness and the lack of repeatability of our own hearing.

Every human being should learn and understand the limitations of our own bodies and senses, instead of blaming other stuff for it.
Old 11th March 2006, 07:18 PM   #30
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Elso Kwak
Tell that to Stradivarius and Johannes Ruckers Eva!

Hide this!Advertise here!