Best diodes for generic power supply - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th March 2006, 09:38 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

http://www.ieechina.com/Upload/Tech/...1404290625.pdf
Old 9th March 2006, 10:27 AM   #12
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Upupa Epops
Sound of diodes....Jesuschrist !....
Some people claim to notice a difference. That aside, there are also EMC/RFI issues to take into account.
Old 9th March 2006, 10:59 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

It is confusing of reason and result - low PSRR, amp on border of stability, wrong design of PCB, sensitivity for HF disturbing at input etc... Isn't problem to get with normal diodes SNR over 120-125 dB, with any special low noise devices ( at line levels... ), if all is correct designed ....
Old 9th March 2006, 11:28 AM   #14
jotape is offline jotape  Europe
diyAudio Member

We should always think in the audio systems as a WHOLE.
Old 9th March 2006, 11:38 AM   #15
lndm is offline lndm  Australia
diyAudio Member

Diode commutation noise is not like common thermal/resistance noise which is usually relatively quiet and resembles white noise.

Diode noise is short spikes that on their own are largely inaudible, but they are very high in level. It takes this wideband high voltage spike to ring the power supply.
Old 9th March 2006, 09:19 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Hello,

there is no current recovery problem, but in some cases hf-generation can occur if one uses diodes with higher capacities together with a transformer with some leakage inductance.
In this case there is one (not four!) small snubber the problem solver!
The "funny" thing is that usually schottkey´s have bigger capacities!
You can start read about from here:

Fast Recovery rectifier diodes

Regards
Heinz!
Old 10th March 2006, 02:19 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

I'm sure I read somewhere that people were using Switching Mode Power Supplies and Microcontrollers in their Hi-Fi designs... all of which, in my mind, do WAYYY more to induce HF noise than a Power Diode like a 1N4004 could ever hope to do.

I realize that a lot of designs, especially Gainclones, like to use those really cool looking fast diodes in TO-220 cases... but WELL FILTERED DC power (both HF and RIPPLE filtered) would seem to be able to completely overcome anything a "standard" diode could do while changing state.

I'd be more worried about what a local FM radio tower could induce into my amp than what the diode might do...

So... I guess I remain unconvinced it makes a difference... still haven't lab tested though.
Old 10th March 2006, 05:28 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pwillard
Switching Mode Power Supplies and Microcontrollers in their Hi-Fi designs
Not me...

Quote:
but WELL FILTERED DC power (both HF and RIPPLE filtered) would seem to be able to completely overcome anything a "standard" diode could do while changing state.
Yes, but the trouble is getting there. Filtering requires resonant circuits, and whilst we try to have them behave themselves and to act at infrasonic frequencies, there are always parasitics.

Electrolytics in particular usually have an inductive component due to their plates being rolled, that when combined with their capacitance, resonates in the upper midrange.
Old 10th March 2006, 06:08 AM   #19
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lndm
Diode commutation noise is not like common thermal/resistance noise which is usually relatively quiet and resembles white noise.

Diode noise is short spikes that on their own are largely inaudible, but they are very high in level. It takes this wideband high voltage spike to ring the power supply.
When you mention "very high in level" you must put this into perspective, compared to what? Bear in mind that 99.99% of all high-end gear have regular diodes.
Old 10th March 2006, 06:40 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by peranders

When you mention "very high in level" you must put this into perspective
No I don't. I understand the problem conceptually as I'm sure you do too. I'm explaining it conceptually. I build according to guidelines, common sense, and my training. If it's broken I fix it and I enjoy much success. Therefore I speak from experience.

Not interested in specifics here.

http://www.passlabs.com/downloads/ar...owersupply.pdf

Hide this!Advertise here!