regulator protection diode

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Connect between input and output of the regulator. Anode to input. Normally it will not conduct, but if the input is shorted, will discharge the output capacitor. Regulators with outputs exceeding about 7V need this protection to prevent base emitter reverse breakdown.

A 1N4004 is usually OK

doesn't really make sense. For my case whihc is a negative regulator, when the system is switched off, the cap at the o/p will discharge. However by connecting anode to input, doesnt it restrict the follow of current to the input of the IC? This might make the cap discharge into the output of the regulator thereby destroying it?

starushz said:
doesn't really make sense. For my case whihc is a negative regulator, when the system is switched off, the cap at the o/p will discharge. However by connecting anode to input, doesnt it restrict the follow of current to the input of the IC? This might make the cap discharge into the output of the regulator thereby destroying it?

The diode is to prevent reverse biasing the reg. In the case of a 7912, the anode should be at the output.

Hope this solves the doubt...

Attachments

• protection diodes.jpg
    protection diodes.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 168
i m posting the image for correctly using the diodes across the regulator ics

the diodes provide protection(they must not be reverse biased).
d1 and d2 ensure that the transients on the regulator o/ps do not drive the o/ps to a potential above their i/ps and cause damage to the regulators.
regulators may not turn on simultaneously,if such a condition occurs the o/p of the slower one may be driven to the potential of the faster one ,so d3 and d4 prevent this condition.

IN4007 or alike are sufficient.

Attachments

• diode connections across regulator ics.jpg
    diode connections across regulator ics.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 136
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
starushz said:
However in this cap suppose i have a large value cap at the o/p and it discharges. The diode will not protect the o/p of the regulator as it si reversed right? So doesnt it make the diode useless?

No. With the neg reg, if the cap discharges, the reg input is pos with respect to its output, and the diode shunts the cap discharge current away, as shown in the previous post.

Jan Didden

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.