Using ATX PSU trans for 12V SMPS?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've taken apart quite a few computer PSU, and I want to make use of the EI Ferrite power transformer in them for a SMPS project. My largest transformer came from a 550W ATX PSU.

I know in a normal computer PSU, 120V is dropped to 12V and 5V by use of different Center Tapped windings on that transformer, switched at a really HF. They are wound similar to Car Amp SMPS toroids, using multiple paralleled turns of wire for each winding.

I was thinking of using the transformer backwards, driving one of the secondaries as a primary with switched 12V push pull and use the HV primary as a secondary.

Also a few of the transformers I have even have the HV primary center tapped (or have 2 seperate primaries) even though the CT was not used in the computer power supply, I could make use of is when driving an amp. I was thinking of getting +/- 50V or so.

I was also thinking that a 120V power inverter could be made from these as well.

Any thoughts?

Taking into account the turn ratios that I've seen, you are probably going to get +-35V to +-50V right with the center tapped secondaries, however, note that nor the secondaries neither the primaries are very symmetrical, so this approach should be used with care in any push-pull arrangement.

If I remember properly, usual turn ratios are 20+20:7+7+3+3. This means two 20 turn primaries connected in series and two 7 turn secondaries for +12V output that are tapped at 3 turns in order to get +5V and +3.3V outputs. Modern higher power units will probably employ more primary turns in order to increase turn ratio and decrease the required primary current level for a given output power, just at the expense of a higher minimum operating voltage.

Well, I'm going to be trying that soon.

I'm just trying to figure out if I should use large bipolars, or go to MOSFET to drive the transformer windings...........

I have lots of high power bipolars, but few MOSFETs. I'll try to go bpolar if I can, but if I *have* to use MOSFETS instead, then I will.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.