Basic high voltage regulated supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
quasi said:
The circuit at first glance could look like it uses the transistors as a booster stage carrying the bulk of the current

That's what I have in mind.

quasi said:
Finally the circuit will work with any 3 pin regulator any 78xx & 79xx. The ouput voltage will be the sum of the zener(s) plus the regulator voltage.

Ha! That's a very good news :D I just might need to buy some other zeners...

Supertex developed a nice little (TO-92) regulator which will "do" 1.2 to 450 V -- the LR8N3 -- it's stated purpose seems to be controlling the high voltage on the front-end of an off-line switching power supply. Of course it is also applicable as a regulator to control the base of a pass transistor.
http://www.supertex.com/pdf/datasheets/LR8.pdf

www.mouser.com is their distributor in the U.S.

just saw this thread.

quasi
silicon chip used this idea for there ULD amp power supply +- 55v

Used 317/37's and trimpots for adjusting.

psu works well very versatile.

jackinnj

the LR8N3 looks interesting.
i need a 300v and 600v voltage lines for a valve amp.
been using zeners, because haven't found high voltage reg.
until now, thanks, food for thought.

300v rail easy to work out but 600v?
? could reference off the 300v or bypass like this thread.

any suggestions???

awpagan said:

300v rail easy to work out but 600v?
? could reference off the 300v or bypass like this thread.

any suggestions???

you can use a pair of big Hexfets -- one as an inverting amplifier to drive the gate of the second -- the basic circuit is described in H&H -- here's a link to a version I used at one time (it is scaled to 400V but can be built for 600V) -- it used a voltage doubler and inverting amplifier scheme:
http://www.tech-diy.com/MCTracer_no_pix_files/B+SupplyIR_FET.jpg

I think that such high voltages as 600V are easier to regulate by means of a flyback converter, or a flyback pre-converter outputing something quite close to the desired output voltage and then a linear regulator that won't be required to whitstand high voltages or dissipations. Current limiting may be performed also in the flyback, making things even simpler.

jackinnj and Eva, thank guys.

I already have the transforner ~700 centre tapped

don't need to voltage double, and switchmode in audio

first time i've seen a "Supertex developed a nice little (TO-92) regulator which will "do" 1.2 to 450 V -- the LR8N3"

easy enough to reg 300v

but if it like the "317's" i was thinking about base "reference" to the 300v line to get the 600v

does the LR8N3 only handle ~430v or voltage drop.

same as the 317's handle ~40v drop.
buy raising the "ground" voltage to say 30v adjust could be up to 70v

allan

ps if you get what i mean:xeye:

You can raise the ground if you want, it works. But a lot of problems will arise during overload conditions. Also, you should make some room for line fluctuations, for example, your target output voltage should be obtainable with mains input voltages from 180V to 250V AC (80 to 130V or something like that) if you want your equipment to be smart enough to work almost everywhere. This may be a bit challenging for a linear 600V regulator, and if you want to use a standard LM317 or similar you will have to fit a pre-regulator to protect it against overvoltage.

The point of the schematic which I showed wasnt' the voltage doubler -- it was the inverting amplifier regulating via an opamp error amp. instead of a DAC (a variable reference) use a high quality, low noise reference.

Eva's points are well taken -- an LM317 is only going to regulate a small portion of the possible variation in input voltage.

Sorensen makes regulated HV supplies using (I believe) forward technology, synchronous rectification, current mode control. These things are designed by teams of engineers at Raytheon -- not for the faint of heart.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.