build power supply for35vdc rails - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th December 2005, 03:32 PM   #11
poobah is offline poobah  United States
diyAudio Member

Andy,

Well there would have been crumbs with all their freshly exposed surface area still in your "empty" pocket... and the dog wasn't interested in those.

Three IS a fairly large number... we're talkin' math here. Were it my wife, I would suspect jealousy...

Old 10th January 2006, 03:14 AM   #12
doggy is offline doggy  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default cap related questions

Is there a difference in electrolytics if the mfd is the same but the voltage rating is different. Yes using the cap within its voltage limitations. To my observation the higher voltage rated cap is bigger. What is the internal differences and should they sound the same?Would either one be better ?
Cheers
doggy
Old 10th January 2006, 03:23 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Yep,

Same capacitance... bigger voltage... bigger cap. Caps DON'T benefit (or your sound) by being run under their WVDC. Voltage, at the rated Working Voltage Direct Current is required to maintain the health and internal chenmistry over time... Also, caps with higher voltages often have worse "ESR" relative to their capacitance. ESR is generally bad in audio.

Old 10th January 2006, 03:36 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

I wonder why 200 volt caps are found in most computer supplies?
Seems overkill for the output vdc.
cheers
doggy
Old 10th January 2006, 03:56 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

A lot depends on the DC voltage surge the circuit may expect to see... regardless of "working voltage" the max or surge voltage shold NEVER be exceeded.

Also in the last decade especially, electrolytic technology has advanced to the point where is has become harder and harder to get small value/voltage caps. Many times you will see 200 Volts caps on the output of a circuit because these are the caps that they also bought for the input... a means of reducing inventory.

Read the manufacturers recommendations... very hard to get to... and you'll find what they say about operating voltage... keep in mind it is all BS... they say they will last 2000 hours... and they last 20 years... most of the time.
Old 10th January 2006, 04:02 AM   #16
paulb is offline paulb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by doggy
I wonder why 200 volt caps are found in most computer supplies?
Seems overkill for the output vdc.
cheers
doggy
The power supply is an offline switcher, it rectifies the AC mains directly, smooths it with the 200 volt caps, chops it up at a high frequency and can then use a smaller transformer. I suspect there would be some lower voltage caps as well.
Old 10th January 2006, 04:21 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Very good poobah, that's what I suspected with manufacturers; and also in my experience many caps years old are still good; although I have some cardboard wrapped caps from a baldwin tone cab that i would think twice about using.

I don't know about switching supplies-but I could probably find out; yes there are smaller caps; 16vdc.

I wonder if 2 supplies can be hooked up in series to give 24vdc, like batteries? or 3 to give 36vdc?

cheers
doggy
Old 10th January 2006, 04:56 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

oh yeah...

Hide this!Advertise here!