why toroidal?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
why toroidail?

Hi!!!

what is the diference between normal transformers and toroidal trasnformers? is there any advantage?

I'm asking this because in Argentina i cant find any place to buy a 24+24 toroidal. I can only find 12V toroidals for 12V lamps.

maybe i can use 4x12v toroidal to make 2x24v. is that worth? or just buy an old "EI" transformer?

toroidal is really used because they are the cheapest per VA due to more efficient use of materials + investment in auto-winding

EI give better isolation from the line due to lower pri-sec parasitic C, they do have higher leakage flux, but is easily "short circuited" by cheap iron such as tin can stock or even galvanized sheet - some high end manufacturers put EI pwr xfmrs in drawn cylindrical cans to to get superior performance while avoiding questions from those brainwashed by toroidal="hi tech" hype

Badly made EIs tend to vibrate and buzz audibly

something that is easily cured!:D

CIMG0517.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.