Need power supply to simulate AAA battery

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I plan to buy an MP3 player to play our phone system's hold message in an endless loop. (I'm currently researching players that provide a gapless loop feature.) Most of the players I'm interested in are powered by a single AAA battery, and therein lies my bigger problem; how to power the thing without contant swapping of batteries. I've searched online for universal power supplies that provide faux "battery" adaptors, instead of (or in addition to) the standard assortment of DC plugs they normally come with. So far, no luck (except for one offering that was hardwired to a single AA-sized adaptor). So I have two questions:

1) Does what I'm looking for actually exist?

2) If not, can anyone recommend separate, reasonable solutions to a) supplying the power and b) making the connection to the player's battery compartment?

I'd like the solution not to be TOO messy, since whatever I come up with will stay with the business even after I've moved on.

It should be said, I'm open to other approaches to supplying the hold message to our phone system. I've edited the audio track to be seamless when looped, so long as whatever is playing it can support gapless looping. I could use a CD/MP3 player, but an DAP/MP3 player had the appeal of no moving parts to wear out.

Thanks in advance,

Bryan

How about getting a universal adapter (wall wart) that outputs 1.5 VDC. Make a false AAA battery out of a wooden dowel the same diameter and a bit shorter than the length of the actual AAA(the screws/brads in the next step will be your contacts and it will end up the same length.)

Cut the end off of the adapter cable and split the cable enough so the 2 ends reach across the dowel. Nail small brads or screws in each end of the dowel, piercing each of the 2 wires in between the head of brad/screw and the dowel. (You could also strip the wires and wrap them around the brads/screws before attaching them to the dowel.)

Check connections and mark correct polarity near the ends of the dowel. Insert the dummy battery in the compartment being careful of the correct polarity.

That's how I'd do it...;)

I have replaced the 9 volt batteries in all my multimeters.
With my own selfmade battery eliminators.

I use small trafos, simple regulators
and 3-4 meters of cable from supply to multimeter.
This makes it easy to move around in my room
and no batteries run empty.

I had to drill little hole in plastic cover for cable.
9 Volt batteries are easy to replace with battery elmininator
because there are special connector for it.
With positive and negative pole.

The matching 'battery side' connector was demounted from old used batteries

I got tired running out of batteries, as I use several multimeters to monitor both voltage and current and they can be connected for many hours, yes even days.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.