Fast Recovery rectifier diodes - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd October 2005, 03:37 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Fast Recovery rectifier diodes

I had a transformer and power supply unit quoted for a project, and in the quote, the secondary of the toroid is rated at 20A rms, but peak pulses of ~110A could occur. Should I get rectifier diodes rated at 110A, or is ~50A sufficient?
Old 23rd October 2005, 06:54 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

It may sound odd, but this rating depends at least on: a) the type/manufacturer of the rectifier diode, b)pulse time.
You should search some diode datasheets, because probably noone can say whether 50A rms diodes from a random manufacturer can handle 110A peak.
And there's another thing that you should consider. Are your pulses going to be repetitive (i.e. because of the loud music ) or non-repetitive (i.e. because of capacitors' charging during power-on).
If second, you can use 30EPH06 diodes, that I've used in my PSU. They have have a continuous current rating of 30 A and a peak non-repetitive current of 300 A.
Old 23rd October 2005, 07:15 PM   #3
hughmon is offline hughmon  United States
diyAudio Member

Here's some interesting diodes from Cree. They're silicon carbide schottky diodes and exhibit a positive tempco in their forward voltage, which means that you can parrallel them for higher current ratings, and with no reverse recovery time to speak of, and low leakge (at least for a schottky type diode), may be an interesting option:

http://www.cree.com/products/pdf/CSD20030.pdf
Old 24th October 2005, 06:27 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Sch3mat1c Send a message via AIM to Sch3mat1c
No need for exotic, expensive diodes; if this is line frequency, standard recovery silicon diodes will suffice.

I can't think of a single diode made for power rectification that isn't rated for an absurd number of peak amperes. The 1N4001 is rated for 1A rms but 30A peak. I think the 35A FWBs I have on hand are rated for like 625A peak...

Unless you have an absurdly high input capacitor with absurdly low ESR, you don't have to worry about peak current at all. Besides, your transformer will melt from the massive RMS current long before the diodes will.

Tim
Old 24th October 2005, 09:44 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sch3mat1c
No need for exotic, expensive diodes; if this is line frequency, standard recovery silicon diodes will suffice.

I can't think of a single diode made for power rectification that isn't rated for an absurd number of peak amperes. The 1N4001 is rated for 1A rms but 30A peak. I think the 35A FWBs I have on hand are rated for like 625A peak...

Unless you have an absurdly high input capacitor with absurdly low ESR, you don't have to worry about peak current at all. Besides, your transformer will melt from the massive RMS current long before the diodes will.

Tim

Thanks Tim, we should all be gratefull for this reality check....

Jan Didden
Old 24th October 2005, 03:16 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thanks Tim, we should all be gratefull for this reality check....
Heaven forbid some people would be interested in a little general knowledge to add to their repertoire.

IMHO, the whole point of DIY is lost if all you're doing is making stuff that the Pacific rim pumps out at a fraction of the cost that you can.

I once pulled some what appeared to be underated diodes out of the analog section in a Magnavox CD player and replaced them with some standard devices, thinking that it wouldn't effect the sound. To my surpriser it totally screwed up the sound. Had to put the originals back in. In my experience, the power supply very much effects the sound of a system, and even the lowly diodes can have an influence in a high definition system.
Old 24th October 2005, 03:27 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
To my surpriser it totally screwed up the sound

What, you actually listen?! And don't feel embarassed to reveal this to the experts?

More seriously, there are a couple of threads on the tweakers asylum about the Cree diodes. Exotic and expensive, maybe, but not to everyone's liking. I still haven't had a chance to plug in mine but if myth-busting is the theme of the day i might do it tonight.
Old 24th October 2005, 03:53 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
More seriously, there are a couple of threads on the tweakers asylum about the Cree diodes. Exotic and expensive, maybe, but not to everyone's liking. I still haven't had a chance to plug in mine but if myth-busting is the theme of the day i might do it tonight.
I haven't tried them yet either. I've been waiting for the technology to mature a little, more specifically, I'm interested in the smaller one amp devices for pre-amp applications (if they ever make them available in a smaller package). As far as price goes, I would expect that to come down in time also, just as it has for what was once considered "exotic" blue LEDs, now commonplace.

I'd very much be interested in what conclusions you come to about the Crees when you try them.
Old 24th October 2005, 04:50 PM   #9
sss is offline sss  Israel
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to sss
Quote:
Originally posted by hughmon
I once pulled some what appeared to be underated diodes out of the analog section in a Magnavox CD player and replaced them with some standard devices, thinking that it wouldn't effect the sound. To my surpriser it totally screwed up the sound. Had to put the originals back in. In my experience, the power supply very much effects the sound of a system, and even the lowly diodes can have an influence in a high definition system.
what was the purpose of that diode ? was it a part of a bridge rictifier?
Old 24th October 2005, 05:18 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
what was the purpose of that diode ? was it a part of a bridge rictifier?
It was the four diodes in the analog bridge. Very wimpy looking .5A switching diodes. As long as I was in there making some mods, I decided to replace them with some standard 1A rectifiers. I really didn't expect it to effect the sound, but man was I wrong. Looks like the designers of that unit knew something when they selected those diodes.

Hide this!Advertise here!