Super regulated power supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have made a power supply, 230/115 VAC in and plus, minus 5-30 V out if the right transformer is chosen that is.

Picture here

I'm sure some people will ask things that I have tested. So far I have tested with load, both resisitive and capacitive. From what I can see the regulator is uncontionally stable with AD825 as opamp and used at it's full speed. At the picture 2 x 15 V transformer is used and this is not optimal together with a preregulator AND 15 volts out. I'll guess 13-14 V is max to take out max current from the transformer. I will test 2 x 18 VAC later.

Hi Peranders,

Looks very nice indeed and I want to understand it further. Just started to read the description on your website and think you may have written it using a different schematic to the one that can be downloaded. Most of the references to resisters are different when comparing the schematic to the description.

i.e from the 2nd paragraph in the Circuit description:
"The reference voltage is filtered by R7 and C7, C8 in order to remove the noise..."

From my interpertation of the schematic I downloaded that should be R8 and C7, C8.

I'm just letting you know as the description is rather good otherwise. I'm just trying to just come to grips with understanding the Jung supply principles. :)

Cheer,

Botch...

peranders said:
I'll guess you by this statement haven't looked at the picture? See the first post.

Sorry Per Anders.. I just assumed there would be more SMD lurking in there, since you're semi-notorious for it. It's a cool board, and since the only SMD devices are the opamps, I think that would make it much more appealing (unless I'm missing ones that are on the bottom of the board or something).

You'll have to excuse my previous post -- I was pretty dang tired when I wrote it :D

Hi,

and here's a picture of Pernaders jsr-03 at work in my cd player, sorry it's small!

The centre and rightmost boards are Peranders, the leftmost is the ALW version, the Peranders version has better overall features.

Here I am using them to supply each of the 2 dac chips with +5v, I was impressed by the difference they made over the 7805's, makes the digital sound way more natural and analog like.

Thanks
Raja

Attachments

• regs.jpg
    regs.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 795
Hi,

Sorry, I didn't compare them in the same position. I don't think the differences would be massive anyway. But I do like the added options of peranders version, there are solder pads which may be easily bridged or unbridged for various setups.

That being said one has to give a massive respect to ALW and Walt Jung for their research and design. Andy was kind enough to organise a group buy here, and I think is organising another at a different forum.

Thanks
Raja

Raj1 said:
I don't think the differences would be massive anyway.
I don't think either but if you really want to test you must have to units you'll switch between.

I like the technical performance of the super regulator and I'm quite excited about my latest headphone amp with four super regulators but in the same time I have designed an amp with TPA6120 and four LM317/337 and this is also exciting. So how big difference is there between a super regulator and a LM317. Is there also a big plus to have them close to the amp? How good is it to have a super regulator not so close to the "consumer"? If you have 2 or 3 boards how good is it when they share a common ground which is physically separated? Many questions.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
peranders said:
What was it that made it "super"?

Allen has had a product out for some time called the SuperReg. High voltage single rail CCS-fed, shunt reg he sold as a kit and uses to power his line level stuff (althou with sufficient heatsink can do 1A so will power a small power-amp. Vanishingly low output impedance (0.00-..something ohms). Not much on his website. You buy his tube pre-amp cookbook to find out more (or buy a kit)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

He has been threatening to do a lowV version for quite a while. He is now shipping (i'm sure the impetus was the PS required for his SACD upgrades)

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.