How to clean our ac power?? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th September 2005, 03:35 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default how to clean our ac power??

how to clean our ac cable and ac power, some internet use ac cable that send their internet data signals .... it is very bad for our hifi system !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 19th September 2005, 03:57 PM   #2
tlf9999 is offline tlf9999  United States
Account Disabled

I have a few suggestions:

a) use of dedicated power stations. Ideally, you would like to have one nuclear power plant for each of your channels to minimize cross-talk and noise. It may cost you a few billion dollars and sizable land, but how can you call yourself audiophile if you aren't ready to sacrifice for the best sound possible?

b) transmission grid: the public grid is just too polluted for us audiophiles (aka nuts). You will need to construct your own grid to maintain the high quality from your generator to your house. I suggest 4x4 solid gold bars to minimize voltage droop and induced modulation.

c) in-house wiring: they are usually totally inadequate. Change them out to 120% pure solid gold bars.

d) in-amplifier device upgrade: have you seen those tinny wires inside of those semiconductor devices? How can powerful electrons go through them unscattered? You will need to open us those transistors and use gold wires (solid gold wires) there.

While you are at it, why should we use semi conductor devices? Afterall, less than 100% of them are conducting at any given time! I would again use 100% pure conductor transistors instead.

The best approach to minimize interference and to enjoy uninterrupted music, I am afriad to see, is to live in a plant / galaxy / universe all by yourself. That way, you are guarrantted not to be harassed by anyone else.
Old 19th September 2005, 04:30 PM   #3
Nordic is offline Nordic  South Africa
diyAudio Member

I think the gentleman is simlpy asking about how to clean up some of the noise on their mains line...

It seems like their power is more poluted than what we are used to as their local ISP's are also pushing data through the electricity network.

If none of us had concerns for this, we would simlpy stick a rectifier to our transformers and be done with that....

Other than modifying the actual powersupplies to add more filtering, you could probably buy a line conditioner, which should filter noise etc... but they are not cheap ($300+ for a good one)
Old 19th September 2005, 05:45 PM   #4
sam9 is offline sam9  United States
diyAudio Member

Until recently I was skeptical of power conditioners and worries about AC noise. I'm still inclined to roll my eyes at expensive power cords that do wonders for bass response.

However, I have recently tracked down some causes of hissing at the speakers and buzzing transformers to the AC. The culprit isn't digital data on the house AC lines -- rather it seems to be associated with the current (as opossed to voltage) wave form distortions that may be caused by ubiquitous SMPS's on the circuit. (BTW it gets worse if there are triacs involved in light dimmers, soft start circuits, etc)

Observing mains current is a bit dicey unless you have a current probe of differential probe. It can be done without these expensive items but I hesitate to recommend it due to safety issues.

I used a power entry module in an amp (connector + fuses + filter) but found that just moved the annoyingly audible noise to the filter ("boinnnnnggggbuzzzzzzzzzz").

I've seen adds (www.partsexpress.com ?) for proffessional (as opossed to audiophile) power conditiopns that are fairly reasonably priced and which seem to have literature discussion the functio and features in a useful manner rather than hype.
Old 19th September 2005, 10:03 PM   #5
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: how to clean our ac power??

Quote:
Originally posted by tube shop
how to clean our ac cable and ac power, some internet use ac cable that send their internet data signals .... it is very bad for our hifi system !!!!!!!!!!!!!

hi,

you can use line conditioners, consisting of, emi filters, surge supressors and an isolation transformer like the one shown below which i diy'ed:

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 20th September 2005, 02:48 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sam9
Until recently I was skeptical of power conditioners and worries about AC noise. I'm still inclined to roll my eyes at expensive power cords that do wonders for bass response.
I roll my eyes all the time, particularly after reading Stereophile and other high-end mags. Peddling offal.

I have cleaned up the power with a bifilar choke on the mains side of the transformer with some line-rated polypropylene caps ---- I think the fear of inductance is a complete canard on the part of those who have no knowledge of physics.
Old 21st September 2005, 10:29 PM   #7
Tweeker is offline Tweeker  United States
diyAudio Member

Transformers, especially toroids, will be noisy and unhappy if theres DC offset on the lines, which is not that rare. If this is the problem DC shunts can be built fairly cheaply.
Old 22nd September 2005, 01:36 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tweeker
Transformers, especially toroids, will be noisy and unhappy if theres DC offset on the lines, which is not that rare. If this is the problem DC shunts can be built fairly cheaply.
I live in a part of the US which is served by "Fourth World Electric" -- the power of our juice stinks -- I have had the power company (now part of First Energy) put a monitor on the line for weeks at a time -- I can never recall, in a period of 20 years, a period during which the mean level of the A.C. line was anytihng other than ZERO volts. I have never seen a DC "offset" on the mains here.

And I don't mean to be nice to FE or its predecessor GPU or its predecessor JCP&L.
Old 22nd September 2005, 04:20 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I have never seen a DC "offset" on the mains here.
Lucky you! Not only can I usually see up to 2-3V offset, it changes every few minutes as I watch.
Old 22nd September 2005, 04:24 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Oh yes, the voltage changes pretty often too. You can feed a sine iinput to an amplifier so that it is just below visible clipping, when watch as the tops start going flat, wait a few minutes and see them round out again. Very amussing.

Hide this!Advertise here!