SMPS design web sources? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th September 2005, 03:24 PM   #1
Loial is offline Loial  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Question SMPS design web sources?

I'm looking for more information on SMPS, sources where I can find a lot of information, not only dealing with Audio SMPS.
Everything, forums, tech sites, educational and more.

Spam me with your best sites on SMPS
Old 7th September 2005, 04:44 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Not sure, that this is the best I have, but try http://www.smps.us
There you can find some theory and useful application notes from semiconductor suppliers.
Old 7th September 2005, 04:54 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Some of the best tutorials are on National Semi's website -- they have an interactive smps design tool. Their discussion of the physics is probably the most comprehensive.

TI is the largest (in the U.S. at least), having aquired Unitrode a few years back.

Linear Technology probably has a very good explanation of noise in SMPS.

OnSemi also has a good interactive tool designed by Ridley Engineering: http://www.ridleyengineering.com/software.htm

here's a good power-point presentation on Power Factor Correction:
http://www.ftn.ns.ac.yu/ieee/jch-ns/arch_2001/10.pps
Old 8th September 2005, 07:42 PM   #4
e96mlo is offline e96mlo  Sweden
diyAudio Member

SMPS calculations on-line!

http://schmidt-walter.fbe.fh-darmsta..._e/smps_e.html
Old 24th September 2005, 11:28 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I just played around a little with that SMPS online calc tool - it strikes me how large cores it suggests, for an SMPS capable of 30 volts, 18 amps@50kHz, it is suggesting ETD59 core, isnt this a bit large? I thought the ETD59 core could handle power in the kW range ( I recently disassembled a 1,2kW 24V telecom PSU, it had a single ETD59 core )
Old 24th September 2005, 12:30 PM   #6
Eva is offline Eva  Spain
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Eva
That may be because you have chosen the wrong topology. Such a big transformer would be actually required in order to get 540W output only with non-push-pull topologies.

For push-pull topologies, even the E34 core from a conventional 200W ATX psu can easily acomodate enough magnet wire for 500W output (I've done it). Also, currently I'm using E42/21/20 for 900W at 32Khz and the winding area is far from filled. I think that even an ETD29 may be suitable for your needs.
Old 24th September 2005, 12:45 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Yupp, i chose push-pull, full bridge topology. Try it yourself, and take a look =) input voltage 10 to 16 volts, output 30 volts, 18 amps. 50 kHz.... and it recommends the ETD59.... weird...
I'm currently building a 4*100 watt car amp for a friend, with high current capabilities, I'm going to use an ETD34 I got, i think it will be more than enough - but then i tried that online calculator...
Old 24th September 2005, 03:46 PM   #8
Eva is offline Eva  Spain
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Eva
For a simgle unregulated push-pull 12V to 30V design with an ETD34 core and a 100Khz clock (50Khz effective), I would use 3+3 turns for the primaries and 8+8 turns for the secondaries. Worst case peak flux density would be 300mT with 16V input, which would be easily handled by any decent power ferrite.

You can calculate peak flux as follows :

B= (V/N) * (T/S)

Where V is total voltage applied, N is the number of turns (so V/N is just the amound of volts per turn), T is half the period of a cycle (5uS for 100Khz clock and 50Khz effective, that's because the flux swings from negative to positive) and S is the minimum cross sectional area of the core in m^2 (0.000091 for ETD34).

I think that I would place the primaries in the center, each one in a layer, and I would split the secondaries in two 4 turn halves that should be connected in series and placed each in a layer, under and over the primaries respectively. That would create a little asymmetry in the primary windings due to slightly different magnet wire lenghts, but a bit of dead time and some compensation in form of PCB track resistance will avoid any transformer saturation issue.

Such windings should be made with several magnet wires connected in paralell, so that the entire width of the winding window is filled. I have not made any calculation, but I think that there is enough room for windings capable of whitstanding in excess of 500W. Copper foil could also be used, but it's a mess to isolate and connect.
Old 17th July 2012, 03:29 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

hello dear friend
my name is Hadi from iran
i want to creat my own car amplifier but can not to creat smps for that.
i see in diy site you do that in past.
can you please help me to creat a good smps?
sory for my bad english
my email adress is Hadi_ghr_e_61@hotmail.com
very thanks for your helping.
have a nise day dear friend.

Hide this!Advertise here!