a nice application note about damping LC networks "snubbers"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
This app note is about protecting the input side of a regulator from overvoltage by choosing a capacitor with enough ESR to damp the LC network at its input, possibly formed by a long cable to a wallwart, etc.

http://www.linear.com/pc/downloadDocument.do?navId=D4125

The idea is simple, but fairly universally applicable. Although it has been discussed in other fora here, I thought a pointer to this app note might be handy.

-- mirlo

jackinnj said:
Linear's website has become less user-helpful than in the past -- even as Switcher-CAD has gotten better. Downloads of their apnotes and product folders takes much longer than a year ago (and my ISP has doubled its own speed in the same time period.)

I have notice this also, its unbelievable slow to start downloading pdf's. If they happen to work at all.

mirlo said:
This app note is about protecting the input side of a regulator from overvoltage by choosing a capacitor with enough ESR to damp the LC network at its input, possibly formed by a long cable to a wallwart, etc.

http://www.linear.com/pc/downloadDocument.do?navId=D4125

The idea is simple, but fairly universally applicable. Although it has been discussed in other fora here, I thought a pointer to this app note might be handy.

-- mirlo

We have tried the reccomended protection, but with LT3474 we result several broken ICs. Also the output of these IC cannot support more than 15V (?!)

The only way is to use a higher capacitor value, in combination with Transient Absorber for 40V / 300Amp or similar Zener diode.
Also an resetable fuse is very usefull.

But anyway, I have to try a new schematrics for 3-4 LEDs CREE 1W for 36V, mounted over metal made PCB using another driver from ST - L5970.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.