jon risch AC Power Line Filter - q's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
this is my diy emi filter/surge supressor:
emifilter.jpg

emifilter5.jpg

emifilter5.jpg

emifilter1.jpg

emifilter2.jpg

emifilter3.jpg

Re: Vishay IH-10

mhb said:
sunrise:

The Vishay IH-10 50uH and 100uH power inductors will work fine for applications up to 500 watts @ 110-120v or 1000 watts @ 220-240v

mb

Thanks - I know - I will use 8 pieces of this inductor (in Europe is 220-240Vac).
I just can't locate the part where I could buy 8 pieces and not 100 and in Europe.... :(

Irwin AR thnx

best regards
tomy

inductors

sun:

Mouser, a division of TTI in the US, will ship to Europe. The Vishay inductors are quite expensive in small quantities, but will cost you less than the 100 Vishay or JW Miller minimums from TTI or Future in Europe.

Maybe you can set up a Euro group buy? The JW Miller inductors should run under 3 euro in quantities >= 100.

Good luck,

mb

Mate, is this the same schematic from Jon Risch or this one is your version? I'm just asking since I can no longer find the original link to his schematic. Thanks! A/ex, PUP-PECE

not sure since it's been years, all the parts used here are taken from big smps psus, all repurposed for this...

btw, i use this line conditioner on my desktop computer, not on my hifi gears...

The caps across the mains need a resistor to discharge them if and when the mains plug is pulled from the wall socket outlet.

Typically one would use a 1M0 to 2M2
This gives an RC of ~0.1seconds for a 47nF and would be substantially discharged in 5RC = ~0.5seconds.
The AC line caps from line to line or line to neutral MUST be type X2 safety rated caps
and the Line to Earth caps must be safety rated Y1 or Y2

Last edited:
The common mode inductors are a single core for the two inductors.
The winding of the two coils are in opposite directions so that the current induced flux cancels for any differential load current.
But common mode current does not cancel and the inductor impedes the passage of the currents.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
sun:

Mouser, a division of TTI in the US, will ship to Europe. The Vishay inductors are quite expensive in small quantities, but will cost you less than the 100 Vishay or JW Miller minimums from TTI or Future in Europe.

Maybe you can set up a Euro group buy? The JW Miller inductors should run under 3 euro in quantities >= 100.

Good luck,

mb

Mouser offers free shipping on orders above € 50 to most European countries.

Jan

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    154.7 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:
A lot of novices over the years ohh and ahh over the Jon Risch AC filter but it's performance is highly questionable.

I use OEM Corcom AC filters when needed in my builds, both hobby and commercial. They have a full set of engineering data showing the noise rejection spectrum as well as other standard electrical parameters.

We have none of that with the Risch filter. I doubt it was engineered mathematically nor was it ever properly tested. It looks to me that he just took a schematic of a Corcom or competing OEM product and threw some easily obtained parts at it.

I don't know about you but when I need an AC line filter I either design one by using classic filter design techniques or I buy one ready made. Otherwise how do you know what you are getting in terms of performance?

Oh and one more thing: This device is connected directly across the AC line. There are significant safety factors that need to be considered that take into account much more than nominal 120vac. That's why you want a UR (no, not UL*) or other safety listing on such a component.

*UL does not list electronic components They "recognize" them as part of a listed product, hence the UR with the R backwards.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.