Suggestions for books/articles on building a DC to DC converter - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th July 2005, 03:32 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to N-Channel
Default Lm2577

I just checked at National Semiconductor's website, and the LM2577S-ADJ is $3.12 USD each, or you can get FREE samples. Kinda hard to beat that price. When submitting for samples, ask for five (the max allowed). This will give you some room to work with if you're unsuccessful at the first attrempt.

The"-s" suffix means that this is a surface-mount version. Or, if you prefer to use the standard 5-pin TO-220, then ask for LM2577T-ADJ; and, of course, the-ADJ means that it is the adjustable version.

When ordering the samples, if you're an engineer for a large firm, let them know that. That way, they're likely to be more receptive than if you're putting down that you're just an experimenter. After all, these companies use their samples programs to promote their products to prosepctive customers who might buy in the thousands or millions. Hope this helps.

Steve
Old 9th July 2005, 06:42 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to N-Channel
Default More LM2577 Stuff

Right Now, I am in the middle of building a DC-DC "uppie" and "downie" all in one circuit. It goes something like this: LM2596 (150kHz, 3A step-down chip) to give me 6V@3A for powering a camcorder, and LM2588 (100kHz-200kHz, 5A externally synchronizable boost chip) to give me 19V @ 3.5A to power a Laptop.

Obviously, the '2588 is synched from the '2596 to eliminate beat frequencies between the two. When I finish, I will post some pics with results. I have done this circuit before with outstanding results. The article on synchronization between the two chips can be found here:

http://www.national.com/an/AN/AN-1082.pdf

I realize that this might not be directly related to the topic at hand, but it might give some useful insight for doing other SMPSs to power other audio ckts.

Steve

Hide this!Advertise here!