need help new to smps power supply design - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th June 2005, 07:59 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Hi, I'm from Malaysia. If you want to build a 13V 20A power supply, try go to this URL, It might be help:

http://www.electronics-lab.com/proje...028/index.html
Old 27th June 2005, 02:06 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to sndscietist Send a message via AIM to sndscietist Send a message via MSN to sndscietist Send a message via Yahoo to sndscietist
now correct me if i'm wrong but smps stands for
Switching Magnetic Power Supply, which boils down to a simple magnetic field power supply. however if your talking about a switch mode power supply then i'm essentially no help. my area of expertise is Pulse Width Modulated Magnetic reflow power supplies. for example i built this awesome supply right before i graduated that gave me roughly 10 amps peak 2 amps rms @ +\- 35 Vdc using only an inductor a irf-510 and a neon bulb to isolate the fet from the collapsing magnetic field, a few diodes and 2 250V caps removed from computer power supplies. this supply was just an experi to see what i could do so i didn't have any switching circuits on it i was just using the make break properties of a switch. if you want me to draw up some diagrams just let me know.

Adrian
Old 27th June 2005, 02:26 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

I'll echo what other people have said, and try to persuade you to go for a conventional transformer solution. Off-line mains SMPSUs are not things to design until you really understand them.

A good on-line simulation resource is:

http://schmidt-walter.fbe.fh-darmsta..._e/smps_e.html

Surely you can buy toroidal transformers for a conventional supply from Europe or the US? I know they're heavy and freight charges may be high but it's a safer way to go.

If you want to learn about SM power supplies, why not make a tranformer/rectifier/capacitor supply, and have a go at building a switch-mode dc-dc regulator (buck regulator) to provide a nice stabilised output for your amp? Once you understand buck-regulators, you will be in a better state to move on to off-line switchers.
Old 29th June 2005, 01:57 AM   #14
cerrem is offline cerrem  United States
diyAudio Member

Building a SMPS is pretty simple nowadays...
Unitrode/TI data sheets and applications notes can get you 95% of the way...
Where people go wrong with SMPS is the LAYOUT!!!!
Make sure to use a grounded plane board and in most cases the app notes will have a layout for you in actual size... There are guidlines to layout you can find and read about...
Also use a LOW switching frequency such as 200KHz or such...
Probably the number one reason I see failed switchers, is the COMPENSATION.... This is basic control theory nothing difficult..
You will need to break out your BODE plots and design a error compensation control loop that has good gain and phase margin...
Before you do anything..RESEARCH and READ first....
You can start off with the book by Pressman..I don't agree with everything in that book but it is a good starting point...
One book that did impress me because it had lots of good info was Power Supply Cookbook 2nd edition by Brown.. I was impressed at his no nonsense approach...and I did agree with about 90% of the book..... These books are very simplistic and good for starting out.... Later more advanced reading should include the famous Caltech crew of Middlebrook,Vorperian,Cuk, Dean Venable...

Chris

Hide this!Advertise here!