12V Power Supply ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I searched the forum and i found someuseful posts but cant find the right answer...

im learning electronics in home (i buy 2 books and i study from it). :)

im an DIY learn too

first, sorry for my english, im from argentina and my english is not very good. i already learned how biasing transistors, and im study right now how AC signals works in transitors....

my main objetive is create an 4x100W RMS Car amp.

so its 400W of power, at 12-14V its 12V*xamps = 400W => xA=400W/12v => i need like 33A.

is possible to get that from an simple car batter? when i goto and design my amp i need to use the source of 12V? or i need to use some kind of inverser so ill get more vols?

hope you guys understand my question... i serached google and the forum but cant get the right answer abt how many volts i will need and how it work :D

thanks

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The simple answer is yes, but it assumes something like
100% efficiency from the amplifier and/or switching supply
that converts the 13.8 Volts froma car battery to what you
want. Also, be advised that a car battery will only do this
for a short while.

Hi,
your battery behaves like a very large capacitor supplying the shorter term peak demand and smoothing the alternator's 3 phase AC supply.
The demand from the 4*100w amps will peak at about 600w and your inverter must meet this as a minimum. The continuous demand could be a lot less than this.
The alternator must ultimately meet all these power demands. How big is it? Amps & volts should be in the manufacturers spec.
A 50A alternator is only 690VA and it has other power supply requirements to keep the car running.

I heard some strange things in this post about power needed by the amp... I don't undertaind.... Pass Lab is a pure class A?
If the answer is yes... ok don't think to put it in your car, but if it is class AB pushed to class A for few watts, maybe it's not so difficult to make an SMPS for it.
May be you can change the bias of the amp without big change in sound, I really don't remember very well the schematic of Pass Lab, but I don't think it's so hard to do it.
Let's ask the guru about this point.

humor...

Sam,

You may not be completely aware of where you are asking the questions. Here in the PassLabs section of DIYaudio, we tend not to emphasize the use of gainclones too much. They are less DIY and more complete in and of themselves and as such are great projects for someone just starting or looking for a lot of output for minimal effort.

In PassLabs land we tend to the larger, more (dare I say it) manly amps that have huge transformers, massive heatsinks, consume vast amounts of electricity and ideally require at least 2 beefy people to move them. As such they are not ideally suited to the automotive environment.

There are other more suitable sections of diyaudio, such as solidstate, car audio and chipamps, wherein lengthy discussions of the virtues of this chip versus that, and their suitability for car use would be welcomed.

HTH

Stuart

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.