Fully Discrete Switched PS - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th May 2005, 02:15 PM   #11
Bakmeel is offline Bakmeel  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Solid State DC-DC conversion

Well, if you plan on using a transformer for mains isolation, I think the safety subject is already solved.

But for control issues, I believe it is best to work on a buck topology rather than a boost converter. My experience is that if you apply conductance control, buck is best to regulate. You will have to overcome some design limitations such as (dis)continuous mode operation.

My biggest experience so far was a fully discrete boost-topology regulator for an interface with Solar Arrays. A 400W 100V output was realised with a single opamp, two comparators and a few transistors.

So buck/boost self-oscillating discrete DC-DC PSU? very feasible...

Bouke
Old 26th July 2005, 06:18 AM   #12
rth is offline rth  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
How can you use an audio equipment without mains isolation? If you touch the audio input/output terminals, you will die.
That seems like somewhat of an exaggeration! Wouldn't this be ok if it was operated with a GFCI cable or outlet? I'm considering my first power amp project to be a high power (~1.5kw) Class D subwoofer amp that could shake my whole home theater like the woofers do at the cinema. The cheapest/lightest way to do it would be to rectify the mains directly to 170 Vdc then use an H-bridge mosfet switching configuration like you'd see with a hip4080. This is way beyond that chip's voltage rating so either discrete components would have to be used or a pair of half-bridge drivers with something driving them. I really like this idea because it should be very efficient due to the relatively low output current required to make this power at such a high voltage.

Besides instant death, is there a really good reason not to rectify the mains directly?
Old 26th July 2005, 06:44 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

well done Buttsplice, i work as a projectionist and i found your lamp house and Xenon construction, interesting.
keep up the good work.
Old 26th July 2005, 02:48 PM   #14
mzzj is offline mzzj  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rth

That seems like somewhat of an exaggeration! Wouldn't this be ok if it was operated with a GFCI cable or outlet? I'm considering my first power amp project to be a high power (~1.5kw) Class D subwoofer amp that could shake my whole home theater like the woofers do at the cinema. The cheapest/lightest way to do it would be to rectify the mains directly to 170 Vdc then use an H-bridge mosfet switching configuration like you'd see with a hip4080. This is way beyond that chip's voltage rating so either discrete components would have to be used or a pair of half-bridge drivers with something driving them. I really like this idea because it should be very efficient due to the relatively low output current required to make this power at such a high voltage.

Besides instant death, is there a really good reason not to rectify the mains directly?
I am around same ballpark, exept planning to run it from rectified 230V mains. Lundahl seemed to have 4kV ac rms isolation specified input transformers wich is requirement in here, but maybe i wound my own prototype since in subwoofer application its far more easier than full-range input transformers. I have fluke insulation resistance tester availlable at work(5kv dc), but usually i use variac and oil burner ignition transformer at home, up to 10kV ac rms and measure leakage current with ordinary multimeter standing on top of plastic box. Speaker terminals are big NO-NO at these voltages, and actually normal loudspeakers are also big NO-NO. not any speaker manufacturer can quarantee that their cone is not going to flash trough at 4kV, so i had to build that amplifier directly inside sub box, ground element chassis and fix fine-mesh grounded metal net directly in front of entire speaker element. And i am probably still breaking at least 10 different safety regulations. GFCI is definetely good idea, but even that is useless if useless user is putting his fingers directly to both of output terminals at max volume.

Running it with isolation transformer makes things somewhat easier and thats my option 2, since i have few pieces of 3000VA 230V/230V toroids hanging around.
Old 27th July 2005, 06:30 AM   #15
rth is offline rth  United States
diyAudio Member

What exactly is using 4kV?

60hz transformers are big, heavy, waste power, and cost money I'll probably sample the power devices and I have all the small parts so I think the only thing I'll have to actually pay for is the heatsinks

Even if I decide that isolation is required, I'd prefer to do a switchmode config that chops up the rectified mains then runs through a small high freq transformer... way smaller, very light, and they are cheap to wind
Old 27th July 2005, 06:48 AM   #16
mzzj is offline mzzj  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rth
What exactly is using 4kV?

60hz transformers are big, heavy, waste power, and cost money I'll probably sample the power devices and I have all the small parts so I think the only thing I'll have to actually pay for is the heatsinks

Even if I decide that isolation is required, I'd prefer to do a switchmode config that chops up the rectified mains then runs through a small high freq transformer... way smaller, very light, and they are cheap to wind
In here safety regulations call for 4kV dielectric strength between ground and L or N conductor. Means that it has to be able to withstand 4kV rms AC for 1 min without arcing or starting to leak. Bit less in some cases if i remember correctly but i usually built everything to withstand 4kV so i dont need remember every exeption of regulations. And 6mm creepage distance is required for uninsulated parts. This can be a real bugger in SMPS transformers when half of core widht is lost to creepage distances.

In US somewhat less than 4kV is sufficient but its not my business what UL or whatever says there.
Old 27th July 2005, 12:29 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

You can easily build a high quality linear regulator which will do more than 4 amps -- use the LM317HV and wrap an NPN power transistor around it. National Semi will tell you how in the application notes for the LM317HV -- although they show use of their super-matched pair transistors. Using the LM317HV will definately be quieter and easier to build than an SMPS.

You can also scale the Pooge 5.5.1 for higher current, higher voltage...

Hide this!Advertise here!