LM317 or TL783 for a 0-60V power supply?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: i think ypu should try TL783

opik said:
it will go 700mA and operated well at 60V, i havn't try it but, i think you should see the: http://www.gyraf.dk/ check out the G9 preamp mic there's TL783 drive 250V for the tubes, check the schematic..I think you can start there,
for the LM350 it depend the application,
LM350 is limited to 33V in the datasheeet, so my opinion i think you should use TL783..goodluck

Dear Opik,

thank you so much for your extremely kind and valuable advice and for the very interesting link.
I am extremely interested in the use of TL783 also with tubes, having a nice project in mind for a simple cathode follower.

Thank you very much indeed.

Kind regards,

beppe61

A LM317 will work perfectly if you don't put in more than 35+60 volts but... if you happen to short circuit the regulator you may break it since you will get 95 volts across it. If you have the regulator built in I see no problem to use it and avoid short circuit. :nod:

You could also make a variant of the Super Regulator (possible future project of mine, see my sig below) but my gut feeling says that it requires some development.

You can use simplier circuits also. I recommend you to check the applications hint for the LM317 and similar IC's.

To use a zener is good but beware of :redhot: :firefite: in case of short circuit. This zener may not be required if the output cap is small (= not huge!).

Davewarsop

The TL783 would be an excellent choice for either a 0-60V variable or 60V fixed power supply. It can source up to 700mA output current and has a maximum input voltage of 125V. The minimum output voltage would actually be 1.25V rather than 0V. You could boost the current capabilty in the usual way with a transistor or two. Take a look at the data sheet for further information, this also shows an application for a 1.25-115V power supply. I have used this device many times and had no problems with it - it is just a shame there doesn't seem to be a negative version of it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.