Power Supply Design where to find?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
fresno Bob said:
Well for now i think i will go with a jung supper regulator and toroidal transformer..

I would advise against a toroidal xformer. These are very wideband, meaning that they easily pass anything that is on the mains, like noise, interference, etc. In power amps, you would use toroids because of efficiency reasons and because the signal levels are higher. In preamps, DACs, etc you are better served with an E-I xformer with separate primary & secondary windings to get some good isolation from mains borne junk. The lower efficiency doesn't matter in this case.

Jan Didden

pinkmouse you have not offered any help you do post nothing. since i could not find any thing as for info i'm left with this route for now you dont like it to bad. besides i dont see you posting any of your own power supply design's so back off...

janneman Thanks for the heads up. i have however seen toroids in dacs on my searches.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
fresno Bob said:
[snip]janneman Thanks for the heads up. i have however seen toroids in dacs on my searches.

Yeah.
- they're cheaper;
- they look cool to the customer (little does he know);
- not all engineers are aware of these things or care.

Jan Didden

PS I think Pinkmouse is not unreasonable. In a single breath you say that you don't want to built someone else's design, but then you ask us to do your design for you, more or less. Then you say you will built the jung reg, probably the most copied reg on this forum. It IS confusing from where we stand.

pinkmouse I'm seekign to build a simple power supply for a dac. i really dont want to use a jung reg. as it seems overly used in builds, dont get me wrong i like the design it's damn simple too. i just wondered if something else could be built. i dont want no one to build me anything i want to learn to build my own designs. any how the powersupply would be split in two one for the digital and one for the analog i do not plan to use tubes this will be op-amp based dac. if thats not enough info pink please let me know exatly what you need to know about what i'm trying to do..

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Ok,

1) How much experience of electronics do you have?

2) What voltage/current supplies do you need for the dac?

3) Is it the dac a design of your own, or a kit?

4) When you say simple, how simple?

The main issue with power supplies is that pretty much everything that isn't overly complicated has already been done. That's why I gave you all the references to start with, so you could look through them and see what kind of thing you wanted.

fresno Bob said:
Well for now i think i will go with a jung supper regulator and toroidal transformer..
fresno Bob said:
pinkmouse I'm seekign to build a simple power supply for a dac. i really dont want to use a jung reg. as it seems overly used in builds, dont get me wrong i like the design it's damn simple too. i just
It seems that you can't deside if it's going to be a Jung Super Regulator or not a Jung Super Regulator.

It's hard really to know what you are after because somehow you must have some specifications to start with. Without specifications you (we) don't know what circuits you require.

Really good regulators are not so uncomplicated but an easy regulator may be enough. It depends.

So is the main goal simpleness or is it performance? Maybe you could show us your DAC design or at least which DAC IC you're planning to use.

Bob, what kind of regulator topologies have you considered so far?

@pinkmouse
1) How much experience of electronics do you have?= been thought about electronics since i was 12 im 29 now person who trained me is an EE with over 35 years experience.

2) What voltage/current supplies do you need for the dac? from i have seen and read this dac will not be high voltage.

3) Is it the dac a design of your own, or a kit? it's not a kit it's something im doing on my own.

4) When you say simple, how simple? not too simple thats it junk but simple enough that it works ever time..

@peranders heres a list of parts i had sitting my bin had forgot all about them.

OPA627AP
PCM1737E
PCM1738E
PCM1770PW
PCM1771PW
@peranders as for regulators i thought about the use of LM317 unless theres better choices.

fresno Bob said:
@peranders as for regulators i thought about the use of LM317 unless theres better choices.

Well, Bob, you certainly have created an interesting thread! :) If you haven't realized it yet, everyone was trying to help you right from the beginning but you have to remember that when you post something its meaning might be crystal clear in your head but no one else's! :)

Anyways, if you are interested in designing your own 317 based reg this is an excellent thread for you to read:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28978&highlight=

leadbelly i did not mean to offend anyone here. i just thought there could be ways to make a smaller simplier psu for a dac. if i have upset any of you i'm sorry. yes the plan is clear in my mind and hard to put down on paper or on here. thanks how ever for the help if theres any more you want to add please do...

I have the same problem as the topic starter.

I'm building my own 1543/8412 DAC. So far so good. But now i'm landed at the power supply part and I haven't got any clue on how to begin.

I only know I need a transformer and four diodes, but that can't be enough :D

Does anyone have any info or an example on how to build a power supply on a non-os DAC? The most simple design will do, I just need something to start with.

Yes, I did use the search-function..;)

Tnx!

Well, I've searched and learned a bit more for building my non-os 1543 DAC's Power Supply.

Again, I'm new with this material so that's why I'm gonna sum up what I know and want to build. I hope you guys can give me some feedback.

First, I need a 230/18v transformator. I hook that up with four diodes to get DC. Next step is to smooth the ripple. For that, I will use a 220uF/25v electrolyc capacitor. Then I have an almost smooth 18v DC signal.

The question is what to do next. Off course, I need a regulator, like the 7805 to make sure the 8412 (receiver) gets it's current in the right proportions. Do I need another capacitor to get a smooth signal like this?:

020_02.gif

Or can I just leave those capacitors? I already have an almost smooth signal..with other words: what's a reason to place those capacitors?

Most of you know the 1534 non-os is an extreme simple design and one of it's (mine) priorities is to keep the signal as short as possible. Also in the power supply. Is the smoothing with the two capacitors (as in picture) a real advantage or is it because of the two 'extra' components....a disadvantage?

Bring it on :cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.