Power Supply Design where to find?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looking for a Power Supply Design for use with DIY DAC's either weblink or book. I'm trying to come up with my Circuits dont really want to use someone elses design. since i feel i takes aways from the whole diy thing. I'm not agenst the use of proven Designs or Circuits. just wanted to build one of my own. if you guys can help with info please post thanks

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Building something that’s never been made before is quite a challenge.

From my understanding you are not seeking to copy an existing design which is of course the best way to learn. The only way to achieve your goal is reading what others did and distillate something that might suit your needs. You got a bunch of links from Pinkmouse to start with and tips from other people as well. Then, with paper and pencil or, like the modern guys do, with some specially designed computer program, you could draw your findings and calculations into a schematic.
Next plausible step would be to post what you came up with and ask for opinions.
You’ll be surprised what help you will get from the experienced among us.

/Hugo :)

fresno Bob said:
Looking for a Power Supply Design for use with DIY DAC's either weblink or book. I'm trying to come up with my Circuits dont really want to use someone elses design. since i feel i takes aways from the whole diy thing. I'm not agenst the use of proven Designs or Circuits. just wanted to build one of my own. if you guys can help with info please post thanks
A bit odd request but start with studying the datasheet and available applaction notes for the DAC in mind and also for other DAC's. Check also evaluation boards. How have they done?

You have a couple of options:

1 3-pin regulator like 7805 and such

2 Shunt regulator like LM431 maybe with some extra transistors with or without feedback

3 Some discrete built series regulator

Since you are feeding a digital circuit with a rather high content of harmonics in the range >100 MHz you must have in mind that the regulators may be able to handle this.

peranders i beleave i have said reg's in a parts bin will however look at the data sheets on the dac chips ect.

Netlist Thanks if i come up with a Design and need it looked over i will post it.

pinkmouse Thanks for not helping. i did not ask the members here to build it for me. and from what i have read most are using others Designs or making their own. if you have schimatics for me to look at post it.

This is what i have come up with sofar as to what i would like to do.
Dont know if it's possable still reading some stuff..
I/V
Current to Voltage Converter
· Resistor based for low distortion

Power
Isolated Digital and Analog Power Sections
· Low noise by isolation eliminating power spikes in analog section
· Separate local linear regulators for left and right sections

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.