Split supplies using off-the-shelf switchers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2005, 07:50 PM   #1
diyAudio Member
 
Steve Eddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Sacramento, CA
Default Split supplies using off-the-shelf switchers

I've been thinking of playing around with some off-the-shelf switching supplies to use for bench testing purposes however none of the readily available dual output supplies are offered with the voltage and current specs that I'm looking for.

I was looking at some of the Elpac open frame supplies but their datashets weren't clear as to whether their outputs were isolated such that two units could be used to create a +/gnd/- split supply.

I called and talked to an Elpac engineer who said that their regular supplies were not isolated and their common was tied to AC safety ground, but that their medical grade supplies were and should be able to be used for creating a split supply.

However the way he answered didn't inspire a whole lot of confidence and I'm just wondering if anyone has actually done this.

se
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2005, 01:20 AM   #2
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Steve,

If you have a PSU (switching or not) connected to AC safety ground and then join that with the positive voltage of the other PSU you will blow the fuses on your house.
No?
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2005, 01:51 AM   #3
Stocker is offline Stocker  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Austin
That's what the "isolated" part was all about... if the outputs are only relative to each other and isolated from earth, stack them as high as you like to achieve desired voltage. I have heard of this being applied to computer power supplies, even.
__________________
Jesus loves you.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2005, 10:59 PM   #4
diyAudio Member
 
Steve Eddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Sacramento, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by carlosfm
If you have a PSU (switching or not) connected to AC safety ground and then join that with the positive voltage of the other PSU you will blow the fuses on your house.
No?
Well yeah, if you have two single supplies and the secondary common is tied to AC safety ground and you tie the V+ of one to the common of the other, you're effectively shorting out that supply.

But it wasn't clear in the datasheets that Eplac had on their website whether the output common was tied to AC safety ground or not.

Also, even if it wasn't, I know enough about switching power supplies to know that they've some idiosycracies that linears typically don't have so I also wanted to try and confirm that there wouldn't be some other issue I'd have to be aware of with regard to tying together two single supplies.

se
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2005, 11:01 PM   #5
diyAudio Member
 
Steve Eddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Sacramento, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Stocker
That's what the "isolated" part was all about... if the outputs are only relative to each other and isolated from earth, stack them as high as you like to achieve desired voltage. I have heard of this being applied to computer power supplies, even.
Thanks, Stocker.

Yes, that's how it would seem at first glance. But I just don't know enough specifically about switchers to know if there might be something else that may be problematic and was rather hoping to find someone who's actually done it.

se
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2005, 02:04 AM   #6
Stocker is offline Stocker  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Austin
If it's anything like a modern large computer or phone company, you will need to go three levels deep, the first two levels being lackeys with a script and the third being exactly the person you knew you needed to talk to 45 minutes ago.

Good luck.

__________________
Jesus loves you.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2005, 03:44 AM   #7
diyAudio Member
 
Steve Eddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Sacramento, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Stocker
If it's anything like a modern large computer or phone company, you will need to go three levels deep, the first two levels being lackeys with a script and the third being exactly the person you knew you needed to talk to 45 minutes ago.
Hahahahaha! God, ain't that the truth!

se
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2005, 10:30 PM   #8
diyAudio Member
 
Steve Eddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Sacramento, CA
Ok, I ended up ordering a pair of Elpac MSM6524s which are an isolated, medical grade, single output 24 volt, 2.71 amp (65 watt) switching supply.

I wired up their outputs in series and instead of sparks and smoke ended up with a perfectly nice +/-24 volt split supply.

At $71.90 each from Mouser, they ain't exactly cheap, but man, it don't get much easier than this. And at only 3" x 5" x 1.1", a pair of them will fit inside a cigar box with plenty of room to spare.

se

NOTE: THIS CAN ONLY BE DONE WITH ELPAC'S MEDICAL GRADE SUPPLIES, DOING THIS WITH THEIR REGULAR SUPPLIES WILL RESULT IN A SHORTED OUTPUT.
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2005, 11:52 PM   #9
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Portland,Oregon
Blog Entries: 4
Send a message via AIM to DigitalJunkie
Humm,
Well,with a bit of tweaking even a non-isolated supply could possibly be made isolated.
Many times the secondary is completely isolated from the primary
(using opto-feedback) the only thing linking the two sides together is that pesky Earth ground.
Cutting a trace or two in the right spots with an X-acto knife could solve that..
I'm not sure a PSU without optical feedback would work,but I suppose you could tweak that,and add an opto-isolator to it?

Humm,Maybe leave the one supply (For +V) as-is,and just modify one (the one for the -V rail) and earth/safety ground the +V output rail,instead of the -V rail.
Then you could series them up,and have 0V earth/safety grounded,without toasting the one supply.
  Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2005, 12:45 AM   #10
diyAudio Member
 
Steve Eddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Sacramento, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by DigitalJunkie
Humm,
Well,with a bit of tweaking even a non-isolated supply could possibly be made isolated.
Many times the secondary is completely isolated from the primary
(using opto-feedback) the only thing linking the two sides together is that pesky Earth ground.
Cutting a trace or two in the right spots with an X-acto knife could solve that..
I'm not sure a PSU without optical feedback would work,but I suppose you could tweak that,and add an opto-isolator to it?

Humm,Maybe leave the one supply (For +V) as-is,and just modify one (the one for the -V rail) and earth/safety ground the +V output rail,instead of the -V rail.
Then you could series them up,and have 0V earth/safety grounded,without toasting the one supply.
I'll leave that to someone else to figure out. I haven't got the time.

se
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Off the shelf regulated supplies of reasonable quality otto88 Class D 0 12th May 2008 01:06 PM
'off the shelf' FE87E BLH bibster Full Range 3 16th June 2006 07:06 AM
TDA729x split signal/power supplies Yoghourt Chip Amps 13 31st January 2005 10:03 PM
And what about those shelf systems? r_s_dhar Everything Else 2 1st December 2003 10:18 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 10:24 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2