Invisus ultra super regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
newbie (ish) question

Hi guys

Have been modding a Marantz CD63KI for some time but get totally confused by all the conflicting advice on regulators.

I have installed 4 simple LM317 based 5v regs using small tants for decoupling on small individual boards directly next to load around the DAC/Decoder section, which is after the caps etc on the PCB.

I have seen banks of these regs built on a board at the edge of the CDP and fed by twisted wires to the load.

I want to use better regs but my budget and skills are limited, so I think I need to build LM317/337 based regs with gyrators and use better decoupling/smoothing caps.

Is it better to have the reg as close to the load as possible?
Should I connect the reg through, say Blackgates to the load, and if so should the cap be nearest the reg or the load?

Hope you can sort me out because I keep coming back to this and asking on other threads but no one seems to want to answer.

Thanks in anticipation.

Jim

Re: newbie (ish) question

jimh0612 said:
Is it better to have the reg as close to the load as possible?
Should I connect the reg through, say Blackgates to the load, and if so should the cap be nearest the reg or the load?

Yes, better to have the regulator close to the load.

Caps: depends of the regulator. Look at the regulator datasheet for the type of caps to use. If you plan to reg digital, you can find many regulators better than the old LM317 (lower noise, faster transient).

Good luke.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.