Invisus ultra super regulator - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th June 2006, 07:31 PM   #31
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Somebody famous (here at the forum) whispered in my ear about LT6200 in super regulators. Looking at the datasheet is quite interesting. Very good data on paper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg invisus_new_.jpg (11.6 KB, 1562 views)
Old 8th June 2006, 07:33 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

A detail of the picture....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg invisus_new_detail.jpg (16.2 KB, 1728 views)
Old 8th June 2006, 07:45 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

$185 for one of those little regs.
Old 8th June 2006, 07:53 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

... performance costs... Somehow Audiocom thinks it's a suitable price. Is it? Compare this with Gaincard, this product looks very nice at least and has goldplated pads. That's soemthing.
Old 9th June 2006, 05:54 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

P-A do you know of any super regulator designs that are built for a 2A output (at 5VDC) using a LT1085?
Old 10th June 2006, 06:24 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

This regulator uses a 110 A (!) transistor and it's a mosfet so 2 A seems to be possible but also others using D44H11 can take 2 A, possibly with small changes. What is your application?
Old 10th June 2006, 02:18 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Standard type stuff . Ultra low noise / ripple / distortion, fast, wide bandwidth supply to run an outboard D/A converter. I have a bunch of LT1085 chips hanging around, and Fairchild soft recovery diodes of the proper rating so I wanted to at least be able to use those. I also have an R-Core 40 VA transformer that I'm hoping will be a nice fit into this supply. What other info can I supply that may be of help?
Old 19th April 2007, 07:45 AM   #38
Fin is offline Fin
diyAudio Member

When using a three pin ready made "super regulator" like the Audiocom Super Regulators, does it require any special implementation or is it best to just drop them in as a replacement to the existing regulator without changing any of the surrounding components?

The regulators supplying the TDA1541A in my Arcam CDP have various values of capacitors before and after them. Should I retain those values?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf arcam audioboard ps.pdf (82.4 KB, 469 views)
Old 19th April 2007, 01:46 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

The adjust pin of Z203 -- which is a pre-regulator and also works the protection circuitry -- you could put a 100uF electrolytic here -- minding the polarity.

I think that you would find that deriving the voltages from a pair of Old Colony Jung/Didden regulator boards to be a far less expensive alternative -- and WJ and Jan did a lot of work vetting the process -- so you aren't buying a pig-in-a-poke.

Audiocom seems to offer no supporting evidence that their board outshines the WJ Super Regulator, and at $185/pop is it worth it for something which hasn't been vetted? No Line Rejection stats, no noise stats, no impedance stats. Perhaps I am missing some page on their website, correct me if I am wrong.

The boards are only $24 for a set, the components are all available at Digikey -- I have had no oscillation problems with the AD797, AD825ar, LT1115 used as error amplifier. They even send you a copy of the original article from The Audio Amateur.
Old 19th April 2007, 02:37 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

In their defense, they have been selling on Ebay for at least the last 9 months or so for £16.99 which is why I bought two super regs and one invisus (slightly more expensive). They seem to sell the old models on Ebay along with their rather expensive CD player mods.
I agree though, should have made my own.
I wouldn't buy any more and certainly not at the list price

Hide this!Advertise here!