Rewinding Microwave Transformer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have read of a couple of references to using transformer from old microwave oven, removing HV secondary, and rewinding with 12 AWG wire to create a high current transformer.

I have removed 2Kv secondary from a couple of microwave xformers but have not given rewinding a try yet.

Has anyone got experience going this?

I'm curious if results are reliable, issues while hum / vibrations in laminations, etc.

Cheers

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

This is what I have powering my induction heater experiment... about 100V 10A (since the secondary comes from a smaller MOT). I also have a bundle of 8AWG that gives about 9VCT, good for electrolysis after some schottky diodes (anyone for 12V at 50A?).

I would recommend making a bobbin out of stiff cardboard to wind on. Fit it loosely so it can be placed easily.

Tim

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.