What is the problem with the K6 SMPS? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th March 2005, 06:02 AM   #1
ghemink is offline ghemink  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default What is the problem with the K6 SMPS?

I don`t understand what the problem is with that supply (the other thread was closed). I think all SMPS supplies are directly connected to AC mains. SO what is the difference? When you look at the schematics of that supply, you can see that the mains carrying part is completely decoupled from the lower voltage parts by using transformers. This is the same as in any comventional supply as well. What is wrong with that?

Gertjan
Old 15th March 2005, 03:06 PM   #2
LBHajdu is offline LBHajdu  United States
diyAudio Member

Thank you fro backing me on this. I was really surprised that my thread was shut down especially when there are other threads allot more dangerous. For example I noted a thread a while back discussing how to run an amp directly off the mains (no galvanic isolation), now thatís dangerous, that thread was never closed down. The ďPFC Switched-Mode Power SupplyĒ was not shut down eider and thatís 400V right off the mains.

All amps have the mains driving some type of transformer; the only additional element is the switching mosfets. The only extra elements of danger here, is that if you wire them wrong they may crack, sending little shards of plastic flying. This is why itís always a good idea to shield your self from such flying particles. Ofcourse Iím lying when I say this is a new danger, the same thing could happen with any ďnormalĒ amp if you wire the bridge rectifiers the wrong way for example or the output devices.

I donít have any experience with smps, this is true. I have built some tesla coils in my day. The biggest spark have drawn was 12Ē long, in air. Yes thatís a lot of volts. So dealing with electricity is not exactly a new thing for me.

I think itís probably a political thing or maybe someone doesnít like me.
Old 16th March 2005, 02:30 AM   #3
ghemink is offline ghemink  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LBHajdu
Thank you fro backing me on this. I was really surprised that my thread was shut down especially when there are other threads allot more dangerous. For example I noted a thread a while back discussing how to run an amp directly off the mains (no galvanic isolation), now thatís dangerous, that thread was never closed down. The ďPFC Switched-Mode Power SupplyĀEwas not shut down eider and thatís 400V right off the mains.

All amps have the mains driving some type of transformer; the only additional element is the switching mosfets. The only extra elements of danger here, is that if you wire them wrong they may crack, sending little shards of plastic flying. This is why itís always a good idea to shield your self from such flying particles. Ofcourse Iím lying when I say this is a new danger, the same thing could happen with any ďnormalĀEamp if you wire the bridge rectifiers the wrong way for example or the output devices.

I donít have any experience with smps, this is true. I have built some tesla coils in my day. The biggest spark have drawn was 12ĀElong, in air. Yes thatís a lot of volts. So dealing with electricity is not exactly a new thing for me.

I think itís probably a political thing or maybe someone doesnít like me.

It is probably the subject title that looks dangerous. I don`t think there is any safety issue as long as you stay away from the high voltage parts. The same would be for example for softstart circuits that are also directly connected to the mains. The fuse holder in between mains and transformer, the power switch etc. So I don`t see what is different from any other supply.

I have ordered two of those supplies and plan to use them. Of course I will take care with testing as you should with any power supply.

Gertjan

Hide this!Advertise here!