Finished capacitance multiplier - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2013, 02:06 PM   #21
PMI is offline PMI  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanlukic View Post
...if Marc has some idea how to make it single layer (for those builders who want to etch their own pcbs), why not?
Agreed, my plan is to post an alternative layout to etch as soon as I test the circuit, which will take 2-3 days. I

I already have one, but no point in posting something I have not tested.

The diodes are in a straight line, to use a single flat heasink if desired for low power. For much higher power dissipation in the rectifier, the diodes and pass transistors mount from the bottom, also in a straight line, at 90-degree bend, and attach to bottom of chassis, or a flat piece of aluminum, or any cheap heatsink you have on hand. So, always only cheap heatsinks needed, or a bit of extra work. No extra expense for more continuous power output when used with high bias (or higher overall power like VSSA circuit w. double-die Exicons).

Hopefully Marc can help w. single layer, b/c I do not usually etch boards.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2013, 02:23 PM   #22
diyAudio Member
 
Idefixes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Mulhouse - Alsace
Send a message via ICQ to Idefixes
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMI View Post
Agreed, my plan is to post an alternative layout to etch as soon as I test the circuit, which will take 2-3 days. I

I already have one, but no point in posting something I have not tested.

The diodes are in a straight line, to use a single flat heasink if desired for low power. For much higher power dissipation in the rectifier, the diodes and pass transistors mount from the bottom, also in a straight line, at 90-degree bend, and attach to bottom of chassis, or a flat piece of aluminum, or any cheap heatsink you have on hand. So, always only cheap heatsinks needed, or a bit of extra work. No extra expense for more continuous power output when used with high bias (or higher overall power like VSSA circuit w. double-die Exicons).

Hopefully Marc can help w. single layer, b/c I do not usually etch boards.
That make sens. When you are ready give me just schematic, i will look what i can do.
I am really interest on this PSU for many project i have.

Marc
__________________
website : http://audiyofield.wifeo.com/index.php
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2013, 05:58 AM   #23
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cacak
Using 8A/1000V KBU8M bridge rectifier (suitable for pcbs) would simplify things considerably and give small footprint on the pcb with enough space for some kind of heatsink. But I like PMI's board because fast discrete diodes can be used, if someone prefers using them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kelco PSU.JPG (117.7 KB, 736 views)

Last edited by ivanlukic; 12th July 2013 at 06:07 AM. Reason: correction
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2013, 03:25 PM   #24
PMI is offline PMI  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanlukic View Post
Using 8A/1000V KBU8M bridge rectifier (suitable for pcbs) would simplify things considerably and give small footprint on the pcb with enough space for some kind of heatsink. But I like PMI's board because fast discrete diodes can be used, if someone prefers using them.
Yes, and it can make it easier to route the connections in a small area. One reason why I used the old TO-220AC package for the diodes is because they were used in the original circuit posted above. Another reason is it gives us some flexibility to experiment with different types of diodes.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2013, 03:40 PM   #25
PMI is offline PMI  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Improved Capacitance Multiplier, first circuit boards:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cap_Multiplier_PCB1.jpg (419.3 KB, 714 views)
File Type: jpg Cap_Multiplier_PCB2.jpg (374.6 KB, 667 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2013, 04:04 PM   #26
diyAudio Member
 
Idefixes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Mulhouse - Alsace
Send a message via ICQ to Idefixes
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMI View Post
Improved Capacitance Multiplier, first circuit boards:
Nice board, what have in mind to populate it : caps....

Marc
__________________
website : http://audiyofield.wifeo.com/index.php
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2013, 04:33 PM   #27
PMI is offline PMI  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idefixes View Post
Nice board, what have in mind to populate it : caps....

Marc
The main filter and reservoir cap is intended to be 10,000uFd, 35-mm diameter, snap-in leads. The holes will also accept 12.5-mm spacing straight lead (checked already), at the expense of the snap in leads being a bit loose.

The output cap would depend on the application, and on what kind of rail caps are on the amplifier board. The board will accept a 4700uFd 25-mm diameter cap, or any standard smaller, 16-mm diameter elco.

In the case of the VSSA modules, which have 1000uF per rail, most of the current for a good transient response will come from the amplifier itself, so a small-ish output cap on the power supply may be enough. The low on-resistance of the pass transistors makes a lower value/lower cost output cap possible.

I will post some pictures over the weekend to illustrate what I mean, showing the main components. I tried hard to use only parts that are easily available.
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2013, 08:13 AM   #28
diyAudio Member
 
Idefixes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Mulhouse - Alsace
Send a message via ICQ to Idefixes
Hi Pete,

What is actuel board size?

Marc
__________________
website : http://audiyofield.wifeo.com/index.php
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2013, 01:16 PM   #29
PMI is offline PMI  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idefixes View Post
Hi Pete,

What is actuel board size?

Marc
The outside dimensions are 120x95 mm

The mounting holes are on 110x85 mm centers, 3.5 mm diameter, unplated. 6/32 or 3 mm mounting screws. 5 mm minimum standoff (spacer) between circuit board and chassis, assuming untrimmed snap-in lead on the larger caps.

At the end of the board where the rectifier diode heatsinks would mount, there is a second set of mounting holes 7 mm in from the first set, in case of heatsink and mounting screws overlap.
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2013, 02:04 PM   #30
diyAudio Member
 
Idefixes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Mulhouse - Alsace
Send a message via ICQ to Idefixes
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMI View Post
The outside dimensions are 120x95 mm

The mounting holes are on 110x85 mm centers, 3.5 mm diameter, unplated. 6/32 or 3 mm mounting screws. 5 mm minimum standoff (spacer) between circuit board and chassis, assuming untrimmed snap-in lead on the larger caps.

At the end of the board where the rectifier diode heatsinks would mount, there is a second set of mounting holes 7 mm in from the first set, in case of heatsink and mounting screws overlap.
Thanks Pete

Marc
__________________
website : http://audiyofield.wifeo.com/index.php
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Capacitance Multiplier PSU Ted205 Chip Amps 3 2nd March 2009 01:27 PM
Capacitance Multiplier Kinnja Solid State 2 13th January 2008 08:12 PM
Capacitance Multiplier for A5? siouxiebuff Pass Labs 3 21st January 2006 04:27 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 07:59 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2