Finished capacitance multiplier - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th July 2013, 02:06 PM   #21
PMI is offline PMI  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanlukic View Post
...if Marc has some idea how to make it single layer (for those builders who want to etch their own pcbs), why not?
Agreed, my plan is to post an alternative layout to etch as soon as I test the circuit, which will take 2-3 days. I

I already have one, but no point in posting something I have not tested.

The diodes are in a straight line, to use a single flat heasink if desired for low power. For much higher power dissipation in the rectifier, the diodes and pass transistors mount from the bottom, also in a straight line, at 90-degree bend, and attach to bottom of chassis, or a flat piece of aluminum, or any cheap heatsink you have on hand. So, always only cheap heatsinks needed, or a bit of extra work. No extra expense for more continuous power output when used with high bias (or higher overall power like VSSA circuit w. double-die Exicons).

Hopefully Marc can help w. single layer, b/c I do not usually etch boards.
Old 11th July 2013, 02:23 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Idefixes
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMI View Post
Agreed, my plan is to post an alternative layout to etch as soon as I test the circuit, which will take 2-3 days. I

I already have one, but no point in posting something I have not tested.

The diodes are in a straight line, to use a single flat heasink if desired for low power. For much higher power dissipation in the rectifier, the diodes and pass transistors mount from the bottom, also in a straight line, at 90-degree bend, and attach to bottom of chassis, or a flat piece of aluminum, or any cheap heatsink you have on hand. So, always only cheap heatsinks needed, or a bit of extra work. No extra expense for more continuous power output when used with high bias (or higher overall power like VSSA circuit w. double-die Exicons).

Hopefully Marc can help w. single layer, b/c I do not usually etch boards.
That make sens. When you are ready give me just schematic, i will look what i can do.
I am really interest on this PSU for many project i have.

Marc
Old 12th July 2013, 05:58 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Using 8A/1000V KBU8M bridge rectifier (suitable for pcbs) would simplify things considerably and give small footprint on the pcb with enough space for some kind of heatsink. But I like PMI's board because fast discrete diodes can be used, if someone prefers using them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kelco PSU.JPG (117.7 KB, 736 views)

Last edited by ivanlukic; 12th July 2013 at 06:07 AM. Reason: correction
Old 12th July 2013, 03:25 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanlukic View Post
Using 8A/1000V KBU8M bridge rectifier (suitable for pcbs) would simplify things considerably and give small footprint on the pcb with enough space for some kind of heatsink. But I like PMI's board because fast discrete diodes can be used, if someone prefers using them.
Yes, and it can make it easier to route the connections in a small area. One reason why I used the old TO-220AC package for the diodes is because they were used in the original circuit posted above. Another reason is it gives us some flexibility to experiment with different types of diodes.
Old 12th July 2013, 03:40 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Improved Capacitance Multiplier, first circuit boards:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cap_Multiplier_PCB1.jpg (419.3 KB, 714 views)
File Type: jpg Cap_Multiplier_PCB2.jpg (374.6 KB, 667 views)
Old 12th July 2013, 04:04 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Improved Capacitance Multiplier, first circuit boards:
Nice board, what have in mind to populate it : caps....

Marc
Old 12th July 2013, 04:33 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idefixes View Post
Nice board, what have in mind to populate it : caps....

Marc
The main filter and reservoir cap is intended to be 10,000uFd, 35-mm diameter, snap-in leads. The holes will also accept 12.5-mm spacing straight lead (checked already), at the expense of the snap in leads being a bit loose.

The output cap would depend on the application, and on what kind of rail caps are on the amplifier board. The board will accept a 4700uFd 25-mm diameter cap, or any standard smaller, 16-mm diameter elco.

In the case of the VSSA modules, which have 1000uF per rail, most of the current for a good transient response will come from the amplifier itself, so a small-ish output cap on the power supply may be enough. The low on-resistance of the pass transistors makes a lower value/lower cost output cap possible.

I will post some pictures over the weekend to illustrate what I mean, showing the main components. I tried hard to use only parts that are easily available.
Old 13th July 2013, 08:13 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Hi Pete,

What is actuel board size?

Marc
Old 13th July 2013, 01:16 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idefixes View Post
Hi Pete,

What is actuel board size?

Marc
The outside dimensions are 120x95 mm

The mounting holes are on 110x85 mm centers, 3.5 mm diameter, unplated. 6/32 or 3 mm mounting screws. 5 mm minimum standoff (spacer) between circuit board and chassis, assuming untrimmed snap-in lead on the larger caps.

At the end of the board where the rectifier diode heatsinks would mount, there is a second set of mounting holes 7 mm in from the first set, in case of heatsink and mounting screws overlap.
Old 13th July 2013, 02:04 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The outside dimensions are 120x95 mm

The mounting holes are on 110x85 mm centers, 3.5 mm diameter, unplated. 6/32 or 3 mm mounting screws. 5 mm minimum standoff (spacer) between circuit board and chassis, assuming untrimmed snap-in lead on the larger caps.

At the end of the board where the rectifier diode heatsinks would mount, there is a second set of mounting holes 7 mm in from the first set, in case of heatsink and mounting screws overlap.
Thanks Pete

Marc

Hide this!Advertise here!