Finished capacitance multiplier - Page 12 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th July 2013, 12:36 AM   #111
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieandDad View Post
I've found that in a low current application, the capacitor multiplier is OK, but in the high current environment nothing beats a decent CLC power supply.
How did you find this?
Old 29th July 2013, 10:06 PM   #112
diyAudio Member

Just back from 10 days of vacation, I update the list with quantity (2) I'm interested in:

IvanLukic(3)
Freeman(tbd)
Idefixes(tbd)
Touchdown(2)
vgeorge(2)
Merlin el Mago(2)
Jameshillj(2)
Jsixis(2)
Praudio(2)
Compressit(4)
Cambe(2)
Gannaji(1)
Potepuh(2)
Syklab(2)[/QUOTE]
quan(2)
tjencks(2)

Thanks a lot
Nicola
Old 30th July 2013, 12:55 PM   #113
diyAudio Member

Have to back myself to 2 of these for now

IvanLukic(3)
Freeman(tbd)
Idefixes(tbd)
Touchdown(2)
vgeorge(2)
Merlin el Mago(2)
Jameshillj(2)
Jsixis(2)
Praudio(2)
Compressit(2)
Cambe(2)
Gannaji(1)
Potepuh(2)
Syklab(2)
quan(2)
tjencks(2)
Old 30th July 2013, 03:07 PM   #114
PMI is offline PMI  United States
diyAudio Member

Ivan has found a component value error on my BOM posted above as a pdf document. R11, R12 should be 470R. The schematic is correct.

The 100R was a place holder until I tested with the jfet used on my board, and apparently I forgot to change that value.
Old 30th July 2013, 03:36 PM   #115
diyAudio Member

I'm sorry I have to put me down

IvanLukic(3)
Freeman(tbd)
Idefixes(tbd)
Touchdown(2)
vgeorge(2)
Jameshillj(2)
Jsixis(2)
Praudio(2)
Compressit(2)
Cambe(2)
Gannaji(1)
Potepuh(2)
Syklab(2)
quan(2)
tjencks(2)
Old 30th July 2013, 05:24 PM   #116
diyAudio Member

No problem guys - Feel free to add or subtract, I will make sure there are enough boards for everyone on the list when I place the order plus a few spares. Doing this informally saves me time

There seems to be an interest in a couple dozen boards, that is enough to reorder. I have one more test to run, and a few questions in my PM box to answer, which I promise to get to in a day or so.

The Mouser BOM is finished, but the way this is "shared" is when I enter your email address into a box on the Mouser web site. In other words, there is no way to "post" a link to that here... if I do not have your email address to plug in, you did not get the Mouser version, sorry.

The pics below are just about everything used for testing, old Tektronix oscilloscope, signal generator, VSSA boards mounted on heatsinks etc.

The second picture shows the two power supply versions used for comparison purposes. Left to right, a bridge rectifier and capacitor bank w. same value as the main rectifier filter cap on the new board. The CLCRC configuration, same total capacitance per rail as the Cap Multiplier board. On the right, MrEvil's Capacitance Multiplier.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PSU4_comparison1.jpg (320.4 KB, 499 views)
File Type: jpg PSU4_comparison2.jpg (332.8 KB, 484 views)
Old 2nd August 2013, 01:34 AM   #117
diyAudio Member

Default Capacitance Multiplier filter during Bass passage

I thought I would post this one test result as it relates to a discussion elsewhere. This is one reason why I was interested in using MrEvil's Cap Multiplier with VSSA, and later I hope other similar circuits.

The first pic shows the power supply ripple before (top trace) and after (bottom trace) the cap multiplier and pass transistor, in other words at the main filter cap (top) and output of the supply (bottom).... during a quiet passage w. little bass content.

The second pic shows the same, but during a passage with moderate/heavy bass. Top trace is before the cap multiplier pass transistor. Bottom trace, after the pass transistor, at the output of the supply. Without the cap multiplier, noise boosted by LF transients easily exceeds 4x the ripple voltage.

In the second picture, you can see the ripple riding on top of what is a single transient, about 40-50 msec long, or 20Hz frequency. The lower trace shows that the capacitance multiplier is effective in suppressing even sizeable LF transients. (not necessarily every cap multiplier will do that, it depends on the time constant of the RC circuit, but this one will, and quite well) At the output of the power supply, there is barely a trace.

The material used for the test is just what I happened to be listening to this morning, David Benoit, Shadows, track 5. Fairly easy listening, new-age-ish music to have w. morning coffee... )

The power supply was not loaded externally, like some of my other tests, so the ripple represents normal load plus standing current. Dropout voltage was set at 0.8V, and the volume was turned up to moderately loud, I would say 3-6 db above my normal single-room listening level. DC rail voltage adjusted to 35V after the cap multiplier using variac. Oscilloscope on digital storage mode. Vertical resolution 0.5V per division, standing current ripple under these conditions is about 200-250mV.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CM_filter1.jpg (458.2 KB, 424 views)
File Type: jpg CM_filter2.jpg (471.3 KB, 397 views)

Last edited by PMI; 2nd August 2013 at 01:36 AM.
Old 2nd August 2013, 02:06 AM   #118
diyAudio Member

That's a pretty impressive result, Pete, and this is without any exotic parts at all?
Old 2nd August 2013, 02:30 AM   #119
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshillj View Post
That's a pretty impressive result, Pete, and this is without any exotic parts at all?
No exotic parts. This is with the first board I built. I ran short of time building the second one, so this is w. close to the least expensive parts I found at Mouser.

Parts from reputable sources, but general purpose filter caps, diodes, etc. Output cap is a 4700uF electrolytic I bought in small q. from another member here for around $1.25 each, input cap is a 10,000uF made by CDE (SLPX103M063H7P3), around $5, rectifier diodes are the generic Schottky diode we already discussed. Rest is as per my BOM.

(This is not to say that a better-grade output cap would not help at mid-high frequency... )
Old 2nd August 2013, 08:46 AM   #120
diyAudio Member

That's why I'll take three pieces.

Hide this!Advertise here!