Finished capacitance multiplier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
IvanLukic(4)
Freeman(2)
Idefixes(4)
Touchdown(2)
vgeorge(2)
Jameshillj(2)
Jsixis(2)
Praudio(2)
Compressit(2)
Cambe(2)
Gannaji(1)
Potepuh(2)
Syklab(2)
quan(2)
tjencks(2)
BYRTT(4)
Ryssen(2)
rickmcinnis(3)
Joachim Gerhard(2)
still4given(2)
Rick G(2)
androa76(2)
fredlock(2)
stajo(4)
kimon(2)
SigFire (2)
vitalica(4)
dw1narso (2)
analog_sa(2)
buzzforb(2)
kindhornman (6) as long as it will be next month, blew my budget this month already!
Luke(4)
pchw (4)

My definitiv single layer PMI Cap multi. Will be etched soon. Reservory cap are screw one i have in stock, and output caps are 30mm diam. This allow to easy mount 63V models.

Marc

Attachments

• Capmu_Versatil_brd.png
    Capmu_Versatil_brd.png
    111.8 KB · Views: 568
IvanLukic(4)
Freeman(2)
Idefixes(4)
Touchdown(2)
vgeorge(2)
Jameshillj(2)
Jsixis(2)
Praudio(2)
Compressit(2)
Cambe(2)
Gannaji(1)
Potepuh(4)
Syklab(2)
quan(2)
tjencks(2)
BYRTT(4)
Ryssen(2)
rickmcinnis(3)
Joachim Gerhard(2)
still4given(2)
Rick G(2)
androa76(2)
fredlock(2)
stajo(4)
kimon(2)
SigFire (2)
vitalica(4)
dw1narso (2)
analog_sa(2)
buzzforb(2)
kindhornman (6) as long as it will be next month, blew my budget this month already!
Luke(4)
pchw (4)

update to 4 pcs for me

My definitiv single layer PMI Cap multi. Will be etched soon. Reservory cap are screw one i have in stock, and output caps are 30mm diam. This allow to easy mount 63V models.

Marc
Looks good Marc! It is nice to have an option to use screw-mount caps especially if you have them already. If you don't the snap-in type are usually less expensive.

I think the output caps are available in 25-mm aren't they? I have two different types on hand, 4700uF 63V, Nichicon and Panasonic. One of the other members, dudaindc is selling the Nichicon 4700uF caps in the swapmeet section for around $1.25 in small lots.

Looks good Marc! It is nice to have an option to use screw-mount caps especially if you have them already. If you don't the snap-in type are usually less expensive.

I think the output caps are available in 25-mm aren't they? I have two different types on hand, 4700uF 63V, Nichicon and Panasonic. One of the other members, dudaindc is selling the Nichicon 4700uF caps in the swapmeet section for around $1.25 in small lots.

yes i have already good BC154 22.000µf/40V in stock as Chemicon U32D 22.000µF/63V screw caps. For output i have Nichicon KG type I 6800µF/63V they are 30mm wide. ROE band in 4700u/63mm or nichicon KG type II are 35mm wide.I know that panasonics snap in TSHA are 25mm diametre.

Marc

update! 4 pcs for me, thanks.

IvanLukic(4)
Freeman(2)
Idefixes(4)
Touchdown(2)
vgeorge(2)
Jameshillj(2)
Jsixis(2)
Praudio(2)
Compressit(2)
Cambe(2)
Gannaji(1)
Potepuh(4)
Syklab(2)
quan(2)
tjencks(2)
BYRTT(4)
Ryssen(2)
rickmcinnis(3)
Joachim Gerhard(2)
still4given(2)
Rick G(2)
androa76(2)
fredlock(2)
stajo(4)
kimon(2)
SigFire (2)
vitalica(4)
dw1narso (2)
analog_sa(2)
buzzforb(2)
Luke(4)
pchw (4)
jj506 (4)

Upping my boards to 4.

IvanLukic(4)
Freeman(2)
Idefixes(4)
Touchdown(2)
vgeorge(2)
Jameshillj(2)
Jsixis(2)
Praudio(2)
Compressit(2)
Cambe(2)
Gannaji(1)
Potepuh(4)
Syklab(2)
quan(4)
tjencks(2)
BYRTT(4)
Ryssen(2)
rickmcinnis(3)
Joachim Gerhard(2)
still4given(2)
Rick G(2)
androa76(2)
fredlock(2)
stajo(4)
kimon(2)
SigFire (2)
vitalica(4)
dw1narso (2)
analog_sa(2)
buzzforb(2)
Luke(4)
pchw (4)
jj506 (4)[/QUOTE]

I noticed that Mouser is out of the Schottky diodes and calls them end of life which means they probably won't be getting any more. Will these work in place of them.
MBR10100 - MULTICOMP - SCHOTTKY DIODE, 10A, 100V, TO | Newark
Thanks, Terry
Correct. As far as I know, the MBR10100 is, or was, a pretty generic part available from several manufacturers, so the source may not matter much. Seems like a good deal at the $0.21 price at Newark.

Jameshillj also suggested a "quiet" diode as an alternative (at higher cost), earlier in the thread MSR860/MSRF860, which should be of interest to people with large transformers or long leads between transformer and bridge.

I think there are lots of alternatives, just like the electrolytic caps.

Edit: I also noticed that Newark had a decent price on the TO-220 isolation kits, for those who want to use them with the diodes, it popped up on the same page as the rectifier diode spec.

The whole circuit is very insensitive to component parameters. Most parts can be replaced with anything vaguely similar and it will still perform well.
I plan to do some more testing, for example with the CRDs as you suggested at one point. I put a couple extra pads on the board just for that.

The output voltage is perfectly clean with only the Schottky diodes, but the soft turnoff diodes may still be of interest to some people, because they may reduce radiated EMI noise from the transformer and transformer secondary leads. Just not easy to compare without better test equipment... :(

So will the MSR860/MSRF860 work Ok? I included the with my order from Mouser. Newark's price was good on the part but their shipping is very expensive for small orders.
Yes, I am sure it will work fine. I am not sure if it will be an improvement you can see after the pass transistor filter. In general, I am not as familiar with the different "soft turnoff" options for rectifier diodes, and how much difference they will make in various applications.

You should not see much, if any, difference on the rails after the pass transistor filter. There may be an improvement in EMI noise inside the chassis, because the inductive "kick" from the transformer should be smaller for this type of diode. This may or may not show up at the output, depending on how sensitive a given circuit is to EMI, also depending on the size of the transformer, the transformer shielding, the length of the leads from the transformer secondary to the rectifier... and on and on. (not a short answer, sorry).

Soft turnoff diodes will dissipate a bit more power, although this should not be an issue with class A-B amps.

Very nice Marc! Makes me wish I had opted for some more impressive caps, I'll have to see what I can dig up for my next pictures... ;)

I was thinking it will be a pitty not to use this caps as i have 10 unit in stock and 4 for more mallory screw same rating but 50mm diam as BC have 35mm diam.
I have 4x U32D screw caps 22.000µf but 63V. As the output caps are rated 63V to i can use this board for testing a +/-50Vdc rail amp version.
Marc

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.