Modifying a computer PS for HV

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I can remember seeing/hearing someting a while ago about modifications that can be done to a computer PS to convert it into a HV PS. I can't remember where I heard this, but I have been given a couple of old 300W computer PS's for free and would like to modify one, so I was wondering if anybody happens to know anything about how this can be done?
Thanks in advance for any help anyone offers.

Pic PS Mod

bEnnY-

I think I have it. I have tried to compress this pic with the evaluation version of Winzip, but it only lets me compress it something like 1%.

I'm sorry I don't remember where i got this pic, but I got it last August. Anyway, here goes......

Ok, I tried to attach it, and it's still too big. E-mail me privately, and I will send it to you.

Steve

HV SMPS Pic

Here it is......

Attachments

• at tube ps small.jpg
    at tube ps small.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 379
Safety, Safety, Safety

That is why any project like this is approached with the utmost of safety in mind. While I don't necessarily endorse anything like this (I'm just passing on some info I stumbled across in response to another's query), I would be interested in how it turns out.

Another reasion why I like solid state- I am very alergic to high voltage.

Stocker said:
Hey that's a neat photo and all, but how about a little more information... like where it came from, and how the modification was performed, etc...

That's from the July 2004 issue of Silicon Chip, an Aussie electronics magazine. They have a whole article on how to do it, though it is quite complex.

http://siliconchip.com.au/ They should be able to send you a back issue I think.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.