Winding Your Own Transformers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
few tips :)
first u gotta find a core that can handle that power (500VA) and got enough space for the windings
most of the time u can use a core taken from 500VA (or more)transformer
also its much easier if u allready got the primmary coil (suited for 120V)
if u got all of the above , winding the secondaries wount be a problem

I already have the core as mentioned above. Not sure how to calculate the maximum VA rating for it but it but I can stack up the laminations(it does have to be square).

I just threw a number for the current but 5Ax50V should only be 250VA, not much for its size.

Tom

50V @5A ct = 500VA(each secondary 250VA)
or maybe u meam 25-0-25 :rolleyes:
an oversized core is not so good, u will use longer wires=higher output resistance
if u got no primary coil u gotta calculate the number of turns for 120V operation , i dont remember the formula for this :eek:

*Sch3mat1c wonders where Geek is :confused:

Lesse, http://geek.scorpiorising.ca/windingtransformers.html seems to be the one. :)

Your core sounds about right. You want to use a core somewhat oversized so you don't run out of room when you're almost done with the windup. :D Too large a core is just a waste of good core material.

Don't worry about resistance. A good transformer will barely get warm. For 5A, you'll want around 16-18AWG copper wire.

Tim

sss said:
50V @5A ct = 500VA(each secondary 250VA)
or maybe u meam 25-0-25 :rolleyes:

CT always means the full voltage winding is split, so 25-0-25 would be accurate. However, given power factor of a capacitor input filter, a 500VA (i.e., 10A RMS) rating may be advisable.

if u got no primary coil u gotta calculate the number of turns for 120V operation , i dont remember the formula for this :eek:

A book I have gives it as E = F * H * N * A * 4.44 x 10^-8, with E in volts, F in Hz, H in "lines of flux per square inch" (1 tesla ~= 60,000 lines; a good value is 50-80k), N is turns and A in square inches (cross section of the center of the core, which the turns are wrapped around). With some algebra you can find whichever you need.

Looks like you'll need about 300-350 turns for the primary.

Tim

Has anyone tried to wind their own power transformers?
I'm considering a 120V to 50VCT transfomer @5A.
I have some EI cores of M4 steel, 1.5" center tougue and 5" long.

Anyone know the proper method to do this?

Regards,

Tom

50v @5amps is 250Va, but primary VA needs to be around 350va.....looks like a 1.5 inch center leg stacked to 2.5 inches height is good.

primary turns of about 280 of ga #19 using grain oriented silicon steel, more if not using goss...

secondary turns of 120 #14 split into 2 coils of 60 turns each...wired in series to get the center tap.

you have to find out your coil buildup and adjust turns or wire size to fit into the window of your EI cores.

if you can get hold of a bobbin, then scramble winding is easier to do... you only need to worry about primary and secondary coil insulations.....

Has anyone tried to wind their own power transformers?
I'm considering a 120V to 50VCT transfomer @5A.
I have some EI cores of M4 steel, 1.5" center tougue and 5" long.

Anyone know the proper method to do this?

Regards,

Tom
Hello tmblack

If your have line voltage 120 at 50 hz and want 50 ct with 5A

Than do this Ei stack center lag E=37.5 mm , Stack height 54 mm ,assume 54 vac for winding

Primary winding turn = 266 with SWG 18 (1.22 Diameter mm)
secondary Winding Turn = 120 with Swg 16 (1.63 Di mm)
you need 3.5 kg EI lamination and 0.920 kg Copper total
All of this you get loaded 50vac with 5A = around 250VA

please replay soon

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.