Transformer problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone!

My first, but perhaps most easily solvable problem is that: I dont have one :))

The second gives the base of the first: how should I know what kind to buy?

I dont know anything about transf. (except that I can calculate every tits-and-bits of them... That was thaught, but I cannot do anything with that in practice :))
How should I know what kind of transformer should be bought? How many VA-s needed, and these things, for a 2x25w of a class a amp? And what else should be considered?

The regulation can be done, I know that. (Except: should the trasformer filtered by BIG-big :) capacitors and R, or it is enough to use a good regulator circ, with a BR bridge?

Hope! :)

Thanks a lot!
Yours,
Semir

---------------
First, I thought I knew something. But the more I read and ask, the duller I feel myself :))

Hi,
Nelson Pass recommends a VA at 7.5 times the the classA output power. Others suggest 6 times These are for push pull topology, it might be different for single ended.
I presume you know your voltage requirement.
For capacitor filtering try WCR = 100 where W =315 or 370 (50/60Hz), C= required cap, R = load impedance. You could vary this by half to double.
Have you considered a capacitance multiplier?
regards Andrew T.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> How many VA-s needed, and these things, for a 2x25w of a class a amp?

2X25W is 50 Watts. Perfect Class-A operation needs DC supply power twice the output power. The AC VA rating of a transformer must be almost twice the DC power needed. So you are looking at 200VA, 4X the audio power. In fact, few Class-A amps reach 50% efficiency, trannies run HOT at rated VA, and transformer price does not rise as fast as VA, and in fancy-audio we should not skimp on the power transformer. Pass's reported "7.5X rule" seems a little big but should be very happy. So 300VA-400VA.

> The regulation can be done, I know that. (Except: should the trasformer filtered by BIG-big capacitors and R, or it is enough to use a good regulator circ, with a BR bridge?

Linear regulation, allowing for reasonable utility variation and losses, will increase power demand (and heatsinking!) about 50%, a LOT. And a power output stage is very much like a regulator, only with audio as a reference. And big caps are necessary for bass power (at least in Class B) and not all that expensive. Therefore we almost never regulate audio power amp main supply power.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.