How to run an AC mic pre from batteries

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello to all!

I´m from Argentina, and this is my first post in this forum.

My situation is this: I´m trying to know how to run a Millennia HV3B microphone preamplier from batteries.

(Specifications: Power consumption, maximum :10 watts. Power requeriments: 115/230 VAC, 50/60 Hz)

http://www.mil-media.com/docs/products/hv3b.shtml

I´m not a technician (I studied musical composition) but I think that for you, that have technical knowledge, is perhaps simple.

I´m interested in doing next year a recording -ethnic music- in the field, with a pair of Schoeps mics and a HV3B as pre. A static situation, without movement.

Note: I have 2 portable phantom powers from Sennheiser, so it would be possible to not use the phantom power from the HV3B.

Perhaps some one of you have experienced something similar ? Could you give me some orientations on this ?

Thanks in advance!

Taking a DC voltage, converting it to 120VAC and then back to a DC voltage inside the box dosnt seem right to me. (And a pure sine wave inverter, which is what you should use, is more expensive). If you have any DIY experiance, you can open the box and see what DC voltages are used inside. Typically +/- 15 volts (and maybe a 5v for LEDs etc). And then power those rails from batteries. (yould probably be fine if you where wihtin a volt or so as long as the + and - where the same) And batteries are the cleanest power around.

The other option is to rent a battery operated mic pre. There are some good ones out there.

Taking a DC voltage, converting it to 120VAC and then back to a DC voltage inside the box dosnt seem right to me. .

I'll agree with that!
And 9 watts of the things 10 watt power consumption are probably wasted in the transformer as heat.

I'd certainly suggest studying its power supply - find out what it uses - and just tap into the secondary side of the bridge rectifier(s). No need for any circuit modification.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.