An idea for all you thinkers...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Would it be practicle , or possible to build one PSU that would help me consolidate all my Wall Warts ?
I have about 8 of these "growths" that power various synthesizers, etc. , and they are starting to get out-of-hand.
And at the same time, improve upon them? and leave room for expansion?
Some are vdc, some are vac.

=RR=

I guess the issue would be the various voltages and currents that are required. If all of your stuff needed the same voltage and/or current, then it wouldn't be all that difficult to build a larger supply to handle everything, but since I doubt that is the case, you might want to just grab another power strip from the store :xeye:

Yes that seems to be the issue to overcome....different values for each piece of gear needing power.

Subquestion:
Is it a good idea to place a :magnet:ferrite magnet on each wall wart's power cord ?....and what does this accomplish?
Some of them came with one, some didn't.

:idea: I could always put several power strips/wall warts in a big metal box and label it "Wall Wart PSU v1.0"....(with a fancy custom paint job of course).

These things aren't ferrite magnets, they are tubular cores made of a 'magnetically-soft' ferrite. The cord passing through the centre creates a simple common-mode choke. It helps to stop high frequency common-mode noise passing along the cord. If you suffer from (or cause!) interference in the VHF radio band or the TV broadcast bands then they can prove to be useful.

The ordinary speaker magnets, the black colour type, they look quite similar to ferrite material. These magnets, are they actually the magnetized ferrite..?

If they are actually ferrite, I am planning to get rid off their magnetism by toasting them in very hot flame before using them to build dc2dc converter.

In my place, not easy to source for the ferrite or iron powder toroid.

Anyone with information, please comment.

Yes, the toroidal speaker magnets are ferrite, but they are no use for winding any sort of inductor on. They have very low permeability as the B-H curve of the material has very high remanence. (That is, they hold a lot of the induced magnetism when you take the induced field away).

Find a few old scrap televisions, there will be a lot of suitable ferrite cores in those to wind your own inductors on!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.