diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Power Supplies (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/power-supplies/)
-   -   Help with regulated +/- 15V PSU schematic (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/power-supplies/44948-help-regulated-15v-psu-schematic.html)

maxw 4th November 2004 04:06 AM

Help with regulated +/- 15V PSU schematic
 
2 Attachment(s)
Hi,
I want to build a good quality +/- 15V regulated PSU which I can use for general testing and using with opamps like OPA627, tpa6120 etc.

I purchased this kit:

http://www1.jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp?ID=KC5038

which is very basic, uses a LM320T15 fixed -15V regulator and a LM340T15 fixed +15V regulator and has 1000uF on each rail.

Anyway I want to make it better so I looked at Tangent's STEPS and took some parts of that and just put them straigt on to the Jaycar one.

How does it look? any improvements or mistakes?

Excuse the MS paint bits :D

Elso Kwak 4th November 2004 07:07 AM

Re: Help with regulated +/- 15V PSU schematic
 
Quote:

Originally posted by maxw
Hi,
I want to build a good quality +/- 15V regulated PSU which I can use for general testing and using with opamps like OPA627, tpa6120 etc.

I purchased this kit:

http://www1.jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp?ID=KC5038

which is very basic, uses a LM320T15 fixed -15V regulator and a LM340T15 fixed +15V regulator and has 1000uF on each rail.

Anyway I want to make it better so I looked at Tangent's STEPS and took some parts of that and just put them straigt on to the Jaycar one.

How does it look? any improvements or mistakes?

Excuse the MS paint bits :D


Hi I think the kit from Hagtech makes more sense. (part of a phonostage kit)
http://www.hagtech.com/images/powersupply.gif

maxw 4th November 2004 07:19 AM

Re: Re: Help with regulated +/- 15V PSU schematic
 
Quote:

Originally posted by Elso Kwak



Hi I think the kit from Hagtech makes more sense. (part of a phonostage kit)
http://www.hagtech.com/images/powersupply.gif


thanks, yes that looks good. No mains filter though which is what I liked about the steps.....I dont know what to do now :smash:

Stephen Soosai 5th November 2004 09:23 PM

Three terminal Linear regulator IC such as 7815 and 7915 can't do the job well enough..?

costiss 5th November 2004 10:09 PM

if u are intending to design a pcb for this, have the traces much thicker.. especially for the ground, you should build a ground bus ca 1cm thick, so that you dont have any stray- loop currents through your pcb..

maxw 5th November 2004 10:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by Stephen Soosai
Three terminal Linear regulator IC such as 7815 and 7915 can't do the job well enough..?
I dont understand. Whats the difference between 7815 and 7915 and the ones in the first schematic? I thought they were more or less identical.

Anyway I have made a pcb design based on the http://www.hagtech.com/images/powersupply.gif image.

maxw 5th November 2004 10:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by costiss
if u are intending to design a pcb for this, have the traces much thicker.. especially for the ground, you should build a ground bus ca 1cm thick, so that you dont have any stray- loop currents through your pcb..
OK, thanks!!
I have redone it with a 6.38 Ground, its the biggest expressPCB will do and if it was bigger it would be tricky to fit under the diodes.

moamps 5th November 2004 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by maxw
.... diodes....
Check diodes orientation.;)

maxw 5th November 2004 11:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by moamps


Check diodes orientation.;)

Thank you:) I have reversed the ones that are by the regulators.
Question: The regulators will supply 1A on each rail, will have to use resisters that are more that 1/4W to draw 1A off of each rail?

jackinnj 6th November 2004 02:14 AM

TL431's cost about $0.25 each and they are a great reference/error amplifier -- much quieter than the 7815/7951 -- the schematic below is gilding the lilly -- you don't need the post regulators (LT17161 LT1964 ultra-low noise -- they are surface mount anyway). This design will cost less and handle more current, the reference is set as Vout = 2.495*(1+R1/R2):
http://www.tech-diy.com/hp465a_ps_new.gif
I give credit to Elso for the first part of the design, I modded it for the parts which I have on hand,


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:05 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2