Help with regulated +/- 15V PSU schematic

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
peranders said:
To be more precise: If the smoothing caps are small and you for some reason has additional smoothing on the regulated side...and the discharge time is longer in the regulated side than the unregulated, then you need these diodes but normally you don't, espcelly if you have known loads but if you are going to make a general power supply you should have these diodes, just in case. They are for protection purposes only.

I don't quite understand what you are saying. Doesn't one always have more capacitance on the regulated side. I know I will. Wouold you mind explaining this again.

Thanks

lopan said:

I don't quite understand what you are saying. Doesn't one always have more capacitance on the regulated side. I know I will. Wouold you mind explaining this again.

Thanks

You always have lots of capacitance on the pre-regulator side but I think peranders is talking about having capacitance the post regulator side, ie 470uF on my schematic and these diodes protect the regs from the discharge from these caps?

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The point is, if you switch off the primary side, that side may fall faster than on the regulated side. That means that the output voltage could actually become higher than the input voltage, iow the reg is reverse biased, and it may be damaged. The reverse diodes make sure that the reverse voltage stays below 1V. What effectively happens is that the output caps spill over through the diodes into the input caps.
Whether this actually happens depends on the relative capacitances, the load and a couple of other things that are difficult to predict, so it is like an insurance.

Jan Didden

lopan said:
Example: rectifier bridge + 10000 uF + LM317 + 22-100 uF This will never create any problems.

rectifier bridge + 470 uF + LM317 + 2200 uF This _may_ create any problems.

So what Jan means is that if you don't have control over your load (know how it is), use always proetcion diodes.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
peranders said:

Example: rectifier bridge + 10000 uF + LM317 + 22-100 uF This will never create any problems.[snip]

Pure speculation Per. If you have a problem in your equipment so it doesn't work, for instance, and you switch it off to do fault-finding, the sec voltage will stay up long after the input caps have discharged and Boom!

Jan Didden

Finished!!!

I changed the layout to include a rectifier and screw terminals as this will be for testing opamps so I needed easy connectivity.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Custom mirror PCB :D

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Costs:
transformer $26
Both Regs $8
PCB etc about $4
Caps, resisters, connectors and diodes about $17
Total approx: $55NZ = $39US

Now I just gotta make something for it to power :)

costiss said:
hope those nasty yellow caps are not tantalum... otherwise try some starget/ panasonic instead....... good work;) ...

They are tantalum as specified here:
http://tangentsoft.net/elec/teps/pguide.html
I dont know enough to know what is better but I know that starget would be overkill given how much they are in New Zealand
;)

So you think small electrolytics would be better? how come?

might be... but: tantalum are low ESR at relatively high freqs... what is needed IS A SMOOTH ESR and impedance capacitor throughout the audio spectrum.. caps like starget cerafine etc are designed for this... you could see why generic low esr caps arent suitable using them in a psu with quite a current demand at ~100-200 Hz.. (a power amp maybe).. after a while theyll be hot... joules law.. esr in low freqs is high enough consume to consume power and raise the temperature.. how much are cerafines in n.z.? here the 100u 35V is about 2 euro (quite expensive..)...

costiss said:
hope those nasty yellow caps are not tantalum... otherwise try some starget/ panasonic instead....... good work;) ...

a while back I posted on the use of tantalum caps with voltage regulators -- I used the Linear Tech LT1964 and LT1761 ULN regulators and the circuit just wouldn't work correctly with surface mount alum electrolytics, but when I substituted through-hole tantalums in their place (since that's all I had) made the devices work to spec.

this could have been a problem unique to my application..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.