Help with regulated +/- 15V PSU schematic - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th November 2004, 02:42 AM   #11
maxw is offline maxw  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jackinnj
This design will cost less and handle more current
I am probably wrong but does this mean it will supply 100mA maximum:
"Sink-Current Capability . . . 1 mA to 100 mA"

If so, that is 10x less than the above regulators. I can see that it is a better design but it would cost me more as I would have to order the TL431 from RS components which will cost at least $10 for 2.
I am still not ruling it out though.
What function do the MJE1503x perform? why is it needed so high volts and amps? (150V 8A)?
Old 6th November 2004, 02:59 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by maxw

I am probably wrong but does this mean it will supply 100mA maximum:
"Sink-Current Capability . . . 1 mA to 100 mA"

Those aux transistors do the heavy lifting -- the TL431's supply a reference to the base of the Pass transistors. I use the ones shown in the schematic since I have hundreds of them in stock at my webstore. You can use whatever suits your fancy. The ratio of the two voltage divider resistors differs between the positive and negative supplies.

The LT1761 and LT1964 really aren't necessary unless you need power supply noise in the microvolts -- I just used them in a project from which the schematic is lifted -- they will only handle 100ma or so.

The protocol on DIYAUDIO, one which I respect, is not to flog your stuff, so if you are interested in parts email me privately. I have circuit boards too.
Old 6th November 2004, 04:05 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Those aux transistors do the heavy lifting -- the TL431's supply a reference to the base of the Pass transistors. I use the ones shown in the schematic since I have hundreds of them in stock at my webstore. You can use whatever suits your fancy. The ratio of the two voltage divider resistors differs between the positive and negative supplies.

The LT1761 and LT1964 really aren't necessary unless you need power supply noise in the microvolts -- I just used them in a project from which the schematic is lifted -- they will only handle 100ma or so.

The protocol on DIYAUDIO, one which I respect, is not to flog your stuff, so if you are interested in parts email me privately. I have circuit boards too.
Thanks jackinnj
I'll have a think about this as I have many options now
I enjoy making my own PCBs and the fact you are all the way in the USA rules out getting any parts from there anyway due to postage costs.
Old 6th November 2004, 04:59 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Could you use cheap small transisters intsead of the MJE1503x?

eg. BC338 and BC328? if not can you recommend a smaller transister that is more readily available than MJE1503x?

So this design would provide less noise than the design above or an LM317 based PSU?
Old 6th November 2004, 11:17 AM   #15
moamps is offline moamps  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by maxw
I have reversed the ones that are by the regulators.
Look on picture below.

Quote:
Question: The regulators will supply 1A on each rail, will have to use resisters that are more that 1/4W to draw 1A off of each rail?
Use Ohms law:
P=I x I x R

Regards,
Milan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 03250.jpg (24.5 KB, 580 views)
Old 13th November 2004, 05:34 AM   #16
lopan is offline lopan  United States
diyAudio Member

Default 7815

A little off the path sorry but I hopw not too far. Seems like the expertise I need is here.

If I tie a 15 or 16 volt source to the output pin of an umpowered 7815 and 0 to its ground pin will this damage it. I want to be able to jump back an forth between two supplies -- one on board and the other outboard.

Any thoughts thanks
Old 27th November 2004, 01:39 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

I made a new one with LM317/LM337 as its simple and lower noise the the 79xx regs I had at first:

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 27th November 2004, 08:07 AM   #18
lopan is offline lopan  United States
diyAudio Member

Looks sweet.

Are D1 and D2 for start up to make sure the output is not more than a diode below the input?
Old 27th November 2004, 08:36 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lopan
Looks sweet.

Are D1 and D2 for start up to make sure the output is not more than a diode below the input?
"These diodes protect the regulator when the caps on the OUT and ADJ pins discharge" - quote from http://tangentsoft.net/elec/teps/pguide.html which was one of the schematics I based mine on
Old 27th November 2004, 09:13 AM   #20
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

To be more precise: If the smoothing caps are small and you for some reason has additional smoothing on the regulated side...and the discharge time is longer in the regulated side than the unregulated, then you need these diodes but normally you don't, espcelly if you have known loads but if you are going to make a general power supply you should have these diodes, just in case. They are for protection purposes only.

Hide this!Advertise here!