Creating Power Supply for Computer in Car Environment - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st November 2004, 06:37 PM   #1
jschen is offline jschen  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Creating Power Supply for Computer in Car Environment

I know they sell these type of units for the car environment. I have decided to try DIY project on this and need some advise. What I want to do is build a power supply for a computer. I understand that when the car is off the voltage comes from the battery (12V) and when the car is on the volts jump up to 13-14 volts. I can't remember what all the rail voltages a Motherboard needs (I need to look it up) but how would one keep the voltages stable or working voltage for a computer? Especially for an audio system that will cause voltage drops and such?
Old 2nd November 2004, 07:47 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I did a quick search on google and found this link its not for a pc its for audio but it has lots of background info in it hope it helps

http://sound.westhost.com/project89.htm

And keep us posted on any progress you make
Old 2nd November 2004, 09:48 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to DigitalJunkie
I got bored once,and decided to make a 12V input PC supply,I slapped it together in a day,and it's nothing fancy...but,it does work..

http://www.users.qwest.net/~ptaylor/...er_supply.html

Just a couple simple linear (inefficient) regulators.. with a small dc-dc converter for the -V rails. This is for an AT motherboard.For ATX,you just need to add a +3.3V regulator,and a constant source of +5V(standby).
Old 2nd November 2004, 02:26 PM   #4
jschen is offline jschen  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the help so far. This project probably won't be started for quite some time but getting the background info so when I get started it won't be so hard.
Old 3rd November 2004, 12:46 AM   #5
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

The forums at http://www.mp3car.com are about the best place for in-car computer information.

What kind of motherboard are you planning to use? There are very compact industrial PC boards that only require 5 volts; Pentium-class boards can be had for less than $100 on Ebay, and are fast enough for MP3 playback.

I'm going to use a switching regulator to get +5V and use a laptop drive which doesn't need 12V. Maybe add a DC-DC converter for +/-12V to run the audio circuits on the motherboard for better sound quality.

Hide this!Advertise here!