All tube PSU for my SRPP Anzai

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Kay is right: from tubecad.com: "... The Janus regulator is not a DC voltage regulator, as it cannot maintain a fixed B+ voltage; instead, it works to eliminate any AC perturbations on its output voltage..."

I'm also looking into an all-tube power supply for a preamp, and I'm evaluating various topologies.

This topology works well, it came out of an old RCA tube manual, I’ve built this a few times, it’s very quiet, and you can use just about any power pentode or triode for the pass device, depending on your current requirements, the only substitutions I’ve made is to use a zener diode for the reference.

Attachments

• 480F063A-5091-4D0C-AEF8-E6B36700AF1C.png
    480F063A-5091-4D0C-AEF8-E6B36700AF1C.png
    305.4 KB · Views: 87
Thanks, interesting cicuit. Left of R7 is a nice place to add a capacitor to filter out the voltage reference generated noise. I'm looking into something not too far off: a differential amplifier with a buffer (pass).

Maybe I'll run a sim on these circuits sometime.

Thanks, interesting cicuit. Left of R7 is a nice place to add a capacitor to filter out the voltage reference generated noise. I'm looking into something not too far off: a differential amplifier with a buffer (pass).

Maybe I'll run a sim on these circuits sometime.

Yes I believe I inserted a cap there, and I made some changes to the voltage divider, so that a 1/2 watt trim pot could be used. I’ve run this one already, I’ll post it sometime.

Here’s the simulation, using an EL34 tube. Noise figures
Look excellent, total output noise is 200nW @ 40mA at 0Hz. The ripple
Voltage at least 1mV or even less. Someone could convert this figure for me.

Attachments

• CE9A2214-BA0A-4A3F-A1AF-E5CA73C54593.png
    CE9A2214-BA0A-4A3F-A1AF-E5CA73C54593.png
    128.3 KB · Views: 74
This topology works well, it came out of an old RCA tube manual, I’ve built this a few times, it’s very quiet, and you can use just about any power pentode or triode for the pass device, depending on your current requirements, the only substitutions I’ve made is to use a zener diode for the reference.
Yes, that's true. The main difference to the schematics in #37 is that we have a voltage reference here, while in #37 there isn't any. No reference, no regulation. It's really that simple.
Best regards!

This is what I have in mind at this time: a simple diff amp (LTP) with a buffer (CF). I'm pretty sure it'll work, but I haven't built it, yet.

The pro's:
  • Very low open loop gain, no compensation required
  • Using a precision 85A2 voltage reference, because I have a big handful of those
  • Simple all triode design
The con's:
  • Limited PSRR, about 20DB at 100Hz, because of the low Ri of the cathode follower
  • Limited load regulation, for the same reason

Attachments

• M77ps-Reg-05e-LTP-trans.jpg
    M77ps-Reg-05e-LTP-trans.jpg
    633.5 KB · Views: 85
  • M77ps-Reg-05e-LTP-ac.jpg
    M77ps-Reg-05e-LTP-ac.jpg
    661.5 KB · Views: 78
  • M77ps-Reg-05e-LTP-TRANS.asc
    3.8 KB · Views: 36
  • M77ps-Reg-05e-LTP.asc
    3.6 KB · Views: 34
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.